Damn electrical connectors

Partymoose

I've been getting ready for my bikes m.o.t. today my getting the horn and rear brake light switch sorted. However, after cleaning every electrical connector I could find, I've been having more problems than I started with. The horn and brake light switch now work, but I've suddenly got a problem with a dodgy ignition with the neitral and oil light not coming on when they should now and again. Worse however, I get no response whatsoever from the starter motor, as if the killswitch is on. I have just installed a new battery, so I thought everything would be ok by now for its m.o.t.

Anyone have any ideas? Apart from the obvious of me not putting connectors back together properly. Its probably a case of going back over all the connectors and pushing them together as hard as I can, just wondering if anyone has any 'outside the box' ideas?

Nope the only thing I can suggest is to go through the loom connectors one by one. Put a little bit of vaseline on the conector blocks (not a huge amount or you can short the blocks) as you take them apart and put them back on. visually check the wires going into the block and give them a light push to see if they've broken.

If the idot lights don't always come on then I'd start by tracing them back to the connector under the clocks and look for something obvious.

Check the battery terminals

Sounds like the engine earth strap to the negative battery terminal? neutral, oil and starter motor all complete the electrical circuit though it.

I hadn't thought about the battery earth, that'll be worth investigating. I'll also try the vaseline on the connectors. It's definately a case of going through all those damn connectors again. Loads of fun planned for my weekend then...

Thanks for the help fellas, I want to get her running so I can enjoy the fine weather we're having!

I'm a bit stumped now. ive tried cleaning up all the connectors and making sure the wires connect properly, but still no joy. Does anyone know of a way to check to see if theres current going to the starter motor? I know the starter switch is ok, so are the starter motor, starter relay and battery. Its a problem with a wire somewhere but I just can't find it. I'm pretty sure I know which block connector has the problem. Is my last resort cutting the wires off the connectors and re-wiring them? Bit drastic!

There is a way, you need a multimeter and a current clamp, helps if you know a lecky, the current clamp is a loop you put around the live wire and it enables the multimeter to read amps with out going in-line.

Right, well I've had a few goes at the problem without much success. I've found the wire that goes from the starter button to the starter relay, and I think its that connector thats giving me problems. I'm considering cutting the wire out of the connector block and making a new connection for it. Is there anything I need to consider before I go ahead and do this? Once this annoying issue gets sorted I can take her out on the road for the first time this year!

Archived