Bulbs

gixer-boy

Help! I have a 2001 GSX-R750Y, which the previous owner fitted an aftermarket undertray/tail-tidy to. This got rid of the original brake light, replacing it with two lights with clear lenses. Problem is, I don't know which company manufactured it, and one of the bulbs hass now blown and I'm struggling to find a replacement. Even the local Suzuki dealer was stumped.

The bulb is quite a stumpy thing, coloured red (the lenses are clear, so I need a red bulb, or a bulb and some decent bulb paint) and is marked with 12V 18/5W. I'm happy with the 12V and 5W, am I right in thinking the rogue 18 is to do with bulb (glass) size? The glass is about 1/2 the size of a 'standard' tail light...

The only thing I can find online that looks remotely right is this here

770378.jpg

Any advice greatly appreciated - will this bulb do? The MOT ran out last week, so I'd kinda like to get this sorted before the sun starts shining....:)

18w is a stop light and not MOT rated to pass, it needs to be 21w though you might get away with it.

5w is the tail lamp rating.

Jim

18w is a stop light and not MOT rated to pass, it needs to be 21w though you might get away with it.

5w is the tail lamp rating.

Jim

Cheers Jim, I should've thought of that! I guess the melted plastic housing indicates that a 21W is a little too bright, which is why it's got 18W instead.... The things you find out about previous owners! In that case I guess it's worth getting 2 so that one doesn't look brighter than the other and give me MOT grief (it's passed with 18W previously)

It's not like I use the brakes much anyway.....

...or the throttle :)

How's about an LED stop/tail bulb? Might need a resistor to prevent a 'lamp-fail' dash warning (depends on sophistication of electrics). Total wattage will be 5w athe VERY most, prolly less, but will give brighter light.

Try www.speeding.co.uk

How's about an LED stop/tail bulb? Might need a resistor to prevent a 'lamp-fail' dash warning (depends on sophistication of electrics). Total wattage will be 5w athe VERY most, prolly less, but will give brighter light.

Try www.speeding.co.uk

I've got a couple of bulbs on order from the place I got the picture from above, but TBH I'm not overly pleased with the tiny lights / melting housing scenario that I've got going on. In an ideal world, if someone needs to know I'm slowing down, I'd like to get the message across nice and clear, so LEDs seems to be the way forward (or maybe lasers :eusa_whistle: ). I'll check out that site, and if there's anything that looks nice and neat, I may save up my pennies. Cheers for the link.

Archived