Another 500 For The Collection...

dannn

4 hours ago, stretch said:

491 cc BICYCLE?

I know its mad isn't it? Motorcycle taxation class is bicycle!

I once pointed this out to a Glasgow traffic warden who bitched at me for riding in a bus/cycle lane and I was locking the bike up in a bike parking spot . I knew that I was wrong, but he genuinely thought he was ?

Back from the maiden ride....first impressions..

1. It's quick but not the its mental it will kill you quick that everyone tells you and that's running standard motocross gearing on the road.
  2. 1st gear is useless on the road.
  3. It will do little power wheelies in 4th gear without you trying or noticing.
  4. It's weird not having a 6th gear.
  5. The vibrations were not as bad as I expected but after 45mins I did need a break.
  6. The Metzeler Karoo 3 tyres seem ok on the road - hopefully they will also handle dirt.
  7. For a 15 year old bike that spent its life being abused in the USA the chassis and suspension seems really good but then I don't really have much to compare it against.
  8.  Gearbox is loverly - no clutch required up or down the box.
  9.  The KTM bypass thermostat that I went to all the trouble and hassle to fit was worth it - temps were kept between ~50 and ~55 degrees.
  10. The ride convinced me even more that I really don't understand the whole supermoto thing on the road (or the track unless some dirt is  involved). However, if I was to ever consider it then the power its currently has is the minimum it needs...it would defo need some more power and 6 gears.

All in all I really enjoyed it and riding it on the road between green lanes/dirt will be ok but what I'm really looking forward to now is abusing both the bike and myself with some off road antics!

Dan :)

You'll be right mate. Just don't try to hit apexes like you're on a roadrace course. Select a rut and follow it around the corner. Also, when you're in the air, get on the gas before you land or else the suspension will bounce you. 

Got the speedo running on it today....

She is a lot quicker than it feels. Pulls over 90mph no problem - that is crazy for standard motorcross gearing!lol

Long power wheelies in 4th gear are addictive!

Dan :-) 

1 hour ago, 2T Institue said:

Have you got access to a Michelin trials tyre? That made a old Montesa King Scorpion feel like a CR500

He's not dirt tracking it or doing endurocross. Why would he want to fit a trials tyre?

I assume Michelin trials tyres are available...

I took a punt and put these tyres on it: http://www.metzeler.com/site/uk/products/tyres-catalogue/Karoo-3.html

product_sheet_karoo3_460x500_jpeg.jpg

So far on tarmac I can't fault them but the real test will be to see how they handle off road stuff.

Was out again today - I think the speedo is reading a bit high hence I reckon its current top speed is around ~75/80mph.

Let a couple of mates ride it today and watching it at the side of the road she really is quite fast and makes one hell of a noise that you can hear a long way into the distance once its gone past.

Mate was videoing for his vlog stuff so should have some video footage of it in a few days.

5 hours ago, Enzo200500 said:

Was that the Lamb Chopster Dan?

Me and Dave Two Dicks popped over to Loomies today.

Yep - met Chops and Womble for an early morning spin!

So back out on the weapon with the GPS and the speedo is accurate!

Bike pulls to 80mph without you realising it, does 90mph if you push on and I suspect if zero fucks were given 95mph would not be a problem.

Also discovered that if you pull the bars just at the right time in 5th gear you can pull a lovely control 60+mph wheelie.

Will order some sprockets and make the gearing slightly taller.

All in all this bike is built for hooligans...really enjoying it!

that sounds good fun Dan

what gearing is that with, mines running a 14/38 combo and tops out just over a ton at 10k rpm. Mine wont lift the front in forth or fifth though sadly :angry:

On 13 March 2016 at 3:54 PM, dannn said:

Mate was videoing for his vlog stuff so should have some video footage of it in a few days.

Any links?

5 minutes ago, Tomfoolery said:

Any links?

I'm sure in a few days he will upload the footage along with his vlog...

In the meantime here is some test footage I took yesterday with my Git2 camera at 1080P60:

5th gear, pull on the bars power wheelies...

23 hours ago, CRM said:

that sounds good fun Dan

what gearing is that with, mines running a 14/38 combo and tops out just over a ton at 10k rpm. Mine wont lift the front in forth or fifth though sadly :angry:

14/49 and at 90mph she is revving to ~7800rpm from my calcs.

Changing it to 15/47...might go to 15/43 if I take it on track or try and squeeze a 16 front (apparently they just fit with some mods) for 16/47.

23 hours ago, dannn said:

I'm sure in a few days he will upload the footage along with his vlog...

In the meantime here is some test footage I took yesterday with my Git2 camera at 1080P60:

5th gear, pull on the bars power wheelies...

Amazing. 

Fitted the ~15 litre enduro tank which by pure luck I stumbled across on ebay for £45, fitted my black panels and new freshly oiled air filter.

Starting to really love the bike now. Just love thrashing it through the lanes - reminds me of lane hacking on mopeds when I was 14/15...

Took some more test footage yesterday....

I paid £3200 for my 'low hour' (they are all low hour ;-)  ) last year they made them 2001 CR500...

I reckon a few hours on one and you might bin the 250's off. I can see now why people put the engines in 125/250 sports bike chassis and track/race them. The torque is addictive and makes riding it fast effortless! I as doing 80+mph through the lanes without realising it!lol

Mine came from this importer - http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/jpddb100 . Nice honest father and son business.

Just to add....I would happily take the bike round Brands Indy at the moment running the motocross wheels with these Karoo 3 tyres even though the forks and rear shock are completely unknown and probably need a dam good service.

Just fitted the 15/47 gearing which should see another 10mph at the top end - will test ride tomorrow. I reckon a 16 front would just fit without the chain case saver and maybe a touch off the casing. Here is my 15:

CR500%2015%20front%20sprocket_zps9fxg5fp

Back from test riding the 15/47 gearing...

Worked out really well...taken the edge off 1st/2nd and I don't feel like I'm over revving it at speed anymore.

Still wheelies in 4th....5th might still be possible with some skill!

Holy fuckballs. I've never ridden a two stroke and can only imagine what this rides like. 

Cracking work. 

After an awesome morning of riding and wheeling she seized up. Managed to catch it and roll to a stop and restart it and ride home:

CR500%20Blown%203_zpsq0b3kwvx.jpg

CR500%20Blown%202.jpg_zpsqas16dev.jpg

CR500%20Blown%201_zpsbd1ihxug.jpg

Not much damage....new piston and a hone she should be good as new!

These ride outs are going to get expensive....lol

Archived