brake discs

syler

ok guys n girls got a wee brain teaser for ya's

been wanting to upgrade the brakes on me 07 r6 for a bit......... n been looking at going up to 320's the obvious route would be brembos n spacers and theres always theother companies making after market stuff

now had a buddy round over last nite for coffee, chinwag etc n the subject came up, I know the r6 is using 300 mil discs n the r1 is on 320's.............with the pondering question ...

would r1 discs fit onto r6 wheels? I know I would still need the caliper spacers its just all down to the rotor mountings n spacing

Replace both discs with a set of 300mm PVM's or similar then .... and the pads. That's the best mod for track answer

Find a replacement of the bay and replace the pads, brake lines (if they're not done), use a Radial Master Cylinder (if yours isn't) is the is the cost effective and sensible road answer

Because ....

Unsprung weight.

All material on the road side of the suspension is unsprung weight and adds a gyroscopic effect to the bike ... basically it wants to stay upright ... so the handling will be slower.

Your brakes will be more powerful with 320's but your bike is lighter than the R1 so net result is you stop about the same with your 300's that's why Yamaha fitted them.

Is simples

Prolites from ebc, with FA HH pads for the road and GFA or EPFA HH pads for the track,

Is at www.comparethebrakepad.com

Simples to do, nasty bits to change, maybe some hel lines and a bit of bleeding,

When is done, your bike will be faster at going slower

is good no ?

look at brake tech disks. If you want to stop quick avoid anything made by ebc. its cack.

ferodo/sbs/vesrah are the brands i prefer.

look at brake tech disks. If you want to stop quick avoid anything made by ebc. its cack.

hi Will , sorry to sound disrespectful, but bollox

spoken about my set up before, but just in case, I've fitted replacement discs on my Sv1000s. I've ductile Iron for track and stainless for road, bioth supplied by West Performance.

The iron discs are simply staggering in their performance against normal stainless rotors. I also change pads for the track to Bendix CarbonMatrix. This set-up was also recommended by a certain red clad biker regular to the nurburgring. If you know who i mean, you'll know he only talks sense and is usually worth listening too, mind his musical taste leaves something to be desired!!

getting back to my road set-up, west performance now do stainless rotors to fit their centre's so it seems sense to keep my stoppers "in house" so to speak. I use ferodo platinum pads for the road, as their not too abrasive and have good feel in the wet as well as dry.

My set-up for the iron discs was around £450, their only downside being the discs go red with rust if they stand for any length of time. This doesn't effect their performance in anyway, just looks a little ugly until you've used your brakes a couple of times and they then clean up.

Pete

Archived