Oil change

r1bazza

Just wondered how many peeps here do an extra oil/filter change between services and is it really necessary in these days of high tech oils?

I do. I probably change the oil & filter every 3000 miles.

but then I do thrap the knackers of it on road & track. Oh yes

it might be overkill, but it can't do any harm to change the oil more frequently.

Because I'm worth it.

Why change the water so often TT? By my logic, you're actually increasing the chances of furring up the cooling system by doing it: You add water, it contains x amount of limescale etc, this boils up around your engine and it sticks to the aluminium a bit. You then empty it out and then add fresh water to it, along with another batch of limescale. Unless of course you're adding distilled water, and if so, I'll shut up.

I change my oil about every 3 or 4 thousand, although the ridiculous thing with the VFR, assuming that an engine with no oil change lasts in excess of 10,000 miles which is will do very easily, changing the oil would be false economy because you can get the engines so cheap!

Unless of course you're adding distilled water, and if so, I'll shut up.

This.^^^

Just always have done with trackbikes. Cant even remember who it was told me to do it now either.

Cant even remember who it was told me to do it now either.

Wasn't a bloke who worked for 'the discount distilled water co.' was it?

i think you should also change the oil if the bike has been sat in the garage all winter - regardless of mileage, because the oil can suck up water. change the oil on the mono every meeting - a lot cheaper than a new motor!

Spilt antifreeze/coolant is damn slippy stuff if it gets on the track after an off.

I knew that! I just cant remember who told me to change it so often!

I knew that! I just cant remember who told me to change it so often!

It keeps the water clean so that in emergencies you can make a brew with the boiling water leaking from the crashed radiator.

I'd just go with manufacturers intervals.

This.^^^

Just always have done with trackbikes. Cant even remember who it was told me to do it now either.

And never use tap water, always distilled whether you're mixing with coolant or not as scale deposits won't do the engine internals any good at all.....

And, if you spill coolant and you have a dog, clean and flush the area straight away as the sweet smell of glycol means your pup will want to lick up the puddle. There is then a very high possiblity that its kidneys will fail as they can't handle the glycol and the hound will die very quickly and painfully! I've heard of a few cases of this now.... :thumbsup:

And never use tap water, always distilled whether you're mixing with coolant or not as scale deposits won't do the engine internals any good at all.....

And, if you spill coolant and you have a dog, clean and flush the area straight away as the sweet smell of glycol means your pup will want to lick up the puddle. There is then a very high possiblity that its kidneys will fail as they can't handle the glycol and the hound will die very quickly and painfully! I've heard of a few cases of this now.... :(

If it happens, get as much alcohol into the pup as possible - this is not a piss-take by the way; the enzyme that breaks down Ethylene Glycol is the same one that metabolises Alcohol - if you saturate it then the dog passes the Ethylene Glycol without it degrading into anything dangerous.

We used to run "Antifreeze" abusers or overdoses on a neat (100%) alcohol infusion in Intensive Care in the good old days! :)

-John

On the road bike I grudgingly change the oil and filters at manufacturers' intervals: modern synthetic oils are so good.

Having said that my company car is a GTR1400 and I changed the diff oil at the recommended mileage and it was scary: the diff oil had gone all treacly so I'm changing at 8,000 rather than 16,000.

On the track day bike I change the oil every four outings or thereabouts which, given the latest oil change might not be the smartest of moves. There was quite a bit of 'filings' in the mesh traps. This is a first for me - should I be worried do you think? Its a KTM superduke and only has two throttle settings - ON and braking like fuck.

..GTR1400 and I changed the diff oil...

pedant alert - no differential on a bike? i change the oil/filter every meeting. bits of metal is normally not good bad. i always cut up the filter over some clean rag to see if there's anything scary inside as well.

pedant alert - no differential on a bike? i change the oil/filter every meeting. bits of metal is normally not good bad. i always cut up the filter over some clean rag to see if there's anything scary inside as well.

Of course there are bits of metal inside - you've just hammered a spanner through it to get the thing off.

Or is that just me.

Of course there are bits of metal inside - you've just hammered a spanner through it to get the thing off.

Or is that just me.

just you - cartridge filter with paper elements, cut it with a knife, or if you have strong fingers tear it out.

dont cut up a car style spin on one with a hack saw, obviously....

i allways change the oil midway between service intervals and use the same filter .the oil is the life blood of an engine so changing it as often as you can,can only do good

Archived