Sprocket and chain removal and change (2002 hornet)

FRYTBYTES

Yeah i'm new to biking and wanting to change the chain and sprockets on my bike.

I ahve the sprockets just need a chain.

Anyway just wondering how easy or hard this job is?

I want to do it myself, would be good to know -

What tools i might need,

What not to do,

Any handy hints etc.

I have a Haynes manual and was just going to follow it, but sometimes moments crop up that arent in the bokok and if you guys know how to prevent certain things happen i'd be grwatful!

You will need to be able to remove your rear wheel, a grinder will be useful to split your old chain, you'll need to check how to remove your front sprocket: ie does it have a big nut that won't come off unless you get a windy gun on it (always good to undo this before splitting the chain by getting a mate to stand on the rear brake whilst the bike is on the floor if you're going to use a breaker bar), crack the rear sprocket nuts off as well whilst the wheel is still in the bike and the wheel on the floor, when you refit the new chain get that mate again to have something firm against the back of the rivet link whilst you hammer the rivets over.

Hope that helps for starters.

Front sprocket nuts will make a Nun swear.

Find somebody local to you that has a nice posh chain tool (the cheap ones will break half the time and then you'll be left feeling guilty) and buy him a couple of tinnies for doing your chain for you. But you'll still be fucked off about the front sprocket, bouncing up and down on the breaker bar, screaming 'bastaaaard!'. Or, you might have one of those front sprockets with 2 small bolts holding a kind of locking plate. If so, they're really easy to undo most of the time and won't involve profanities.

(always good to undo this before splitting the chain by getting a mate to stand on the rear brake whilst the bike is on the floor if you're going to use a breaker bar)

Alternatively, wrap a crowbar in an old tea towel, put it through the rear wheel and pull against it. Probably best not to attempt this method if your wheels are spoked, however.

Front sprocket nuts will make a Nun swear.

He's not wrong. I thought my 2' breaker bar was going to snap when I did mine.

Archived