VFR 400 swingarm on a larger bike.

Gackt

Hey all,

I'm starting a 'fighter project using a GSX-RW frame and a bandit 6 engine. I want a single-sided swingarm and nc30/35 swingers seem the easiest (and cheapest) to get hold of. Would a smaller rear tyre (think they run a 150) be much of an handling issue on a bigger bike? B6s aren't exactly tarmac rippling so I'm guessing it'd be fine having more power than usual put through it. How possible would it be to mount a larger rim (for a 180 boot) on an nc30 arm? I'm guessing the arm would have to be off-set a fair bit to keep the wheel central without it rubbing but how much would that interfere with the chain run, with the shock hole/linkage lugs?

This is very much a learning project for me so apologies for the noobiness.

Thanks people.

I think my old GSXF 6 had a 150 tyre, and thats the same engine, so it should be fine.

It might be an idea so space the swingarm for the chain run, then space the wheel to be central? Just a thought, not used single siders before. Let me know though!

An NC30 and a bandit 6 put out about the same power, you'll be fine, and you can go to a 160 at a push. If you want bigger rubber then you'll be wanting a VFR750 or 800 back end, otherwise it'll rub.

• 2 weeks later...

rick oliver sells vfr 750 rear hub conversions for nc30 swingers allowing use of a larger wheel and tyre pm me and ill get you his copntact details

If it is of any use to anyone I have a Rick Oliver rear hub conversion and newly powdercoated black Vfr750 rear wheel to suit in the workshop which has been waiting to be fitted to a track bike (pipe dream if I'm honest), I also have this conversion on my own road bike and can't fault Ricks workmanship. I'm after £200 for the pair plus a tenner postage. Last time I checked the hub conversion costs around £160 (plus postage either way - they are on an exchange basis) and tatty 750 rears go for between £50 and £80. It's there if anyone wants one, cheers Paul.

Archived