GSXR750K8 suspension settings

JBond

Yup. It's that thread again :wub:

I'm an 11 stone weakling with really not that much skill. I ride mostly on Essex, Herts and Cambs back roads. I have been known to ride a lot of the roads in PB's stomping ground within 50 miles of Peterboro. At least partly due to the lovely Tim T's suggestions, I've just got a lovely low mileage GSXR750K8. I thought I'd at least start with Tim's recommended suspension settings. Here's what Tim says (Mar09, pg 83)

From fully out.

Front

Preload 6 lines showing

Rebound 3 clicks

Compression 7 clicks

Rear

Preload 6 threads

Rebound 2 turns in

Compression 2.5 turns in

Here's what the manual says:-

Front

Preload 7 turns from fully counter clockwise

Rebound 1 3/4 turns from fully clockwise

Compression High 2 turns from fully clockwise

Compression Low 2 1/2 turns from fully clockwise

Rear

Preload Unknown. Factory set.

Rebound 1 3/4 turns from fully clockwise

Compression High 3 turns from fully clockwise

Compression Low 2 turns from fully clockwise

All damping settings then adjust so the punch marks align.

What the hell is going on here? Tim's K8 apparently has the old style front preload adjusters. And mine's got a blue nut that doesn't move up and down. There are no "lines". Tim's had simple compression front and rear, mine has two speed adjusters. So is this like 90s Ducatis where every bike is subtly different depending on what components they'd managed to get without paying for them? Or did Tim dig out his notes from 2006 on a CBR600 and we're not actually talking about the same bike?

Whatever, on the ride home the bike felt fine to me. It was incredibly plush compared with the ZX6B1 I'd chopped in without feeling remotely wallowy or diving on the brakes. I figure I'll check everything is stock and just leave it like that.

But I'm still puzzled by all this. Any other 750K8 owners out there?

ps. The bike had been traded in for an RC8 with only 1700 miles on it. Barely run in and everything on stock. The mind boggles really. And like Tim, I reckon the levers are way too high.

• 1 month later...

Maybe this will help somebody.

From wound in - Fully clockwise unless specified

Stock

Front rebound - 1 3/4 turns - Top of fork, inner flatblade screw

Front comp,low - 2 1/2 turns - Bottom of fork, inner flatblade screw

Front comp,high - 2 turns - Bottom of fork, outer 10mm nut

Front static sag - 32mm - 7 turns from fully out - Top of fork, Blue 19mm nut

Front loaded sag - 38mm

Rear rebound - 1 3/4 turns - Bottom of shock, flatblade screw

Rear comp,low - 2 turns - top of shock, inner flatblade screw

Rear comp,high - 3 turns - top of shock, outer 14mm nut

Rear static sag - 10mm

Rear loaded sag - 26mm

Setup by BNracescience for 12st. Fast road and 2 or 3 trackdays/year.

From Gixxerjunkies

Front rebound - 1/2 turns - Top of fork, inner flatblade screw

Front comp,low - 2 1/2 turns - Bottom of fork, inner flatblade screw

Front comp,high - 2 turns - Bottom of fork, outer 10mm nut

Front static sag - 29mm - Top of fork, Blue 19mm nut

Front loaded sag - 38mm

Rear rebound - 1 1/4 turns - Bottom of shock, flatblade screw

Rear comp,low - 2 turns - top of shock, inner flatblade screw

Rear comp,high - 3 1/2 turns - top of shock, outer 14mm nut

Rear static sag - 10mm

Rear loaded sag - 26mm

So basically, More front rebound, touch less high and low rear comp, touch more rear rebound. And sag adjusted for his weight so laden sag is as stock.

I found the stock settings fine for rushing around Essex and Cambs backroads. The adjusted settings seem to have settled the bike a bit more but I'm not sure I'm good enough to really tell the difference. Mainly I've had the bike 2 months now and I'm amazed at how good it is. Especially on bumpy backroads. The other thing I find amazing is how it's both nimble and stable. The last bike was a ZX6R B1. That was slightly less nimble and considerably less stable. The other big difference of course is the extra ccs. I spent a lot of time bouncing the ZX off the rev limiter. I'm going faster now with less effort but mostly less sense of having to work at it. Not entirely sure this is a good thing! I said when I traded in, I'm doing it because the ZX was too manic, but I'll miss it because it was too manic.

BTW. Still puzzled by TT's recommended settings. They're clearly for a different bike entirely. This wouldn't be the first time from PB. :icon_bounce:

Archived