Aprilia Falco

jkflo46

a friends falco's aftermarket alarm/immobilizer died

so he got a spark out to remove it but the bike still wont start

now the bike had been left out side for 2 weeks and battery was reading 12.1volts

so told him to slow charge it up to full (13.6). but failing this any other suggestion would be help full!

Aprilia's big twins do need a full battery so try that first. I assume that he's getting everything on the dash ok, no error codes, all the lights work, etc.?

Is the engine turning over at all, does the starter engage, is the kill switch set to 'run'? :eusa_think:

Might be worth checking the sidestand cut-out; think the earlier bikes had an issue as the activating pin shearing off as it was made of plastic.

Finally, if it's been damp, there's a sensor in the RHS air intake that measures air temperature. If that gets damp it can bugger up the running, usually making it quite lumpy and cutting out for about five minutes until it dries out. Mine used to do that after I washed it until I found out the cause. Spray a little water inhibitor (not WD40) on it and see if that helps.

Aprilia's big twins do need a full battery so try that first. I assume that he's getting everything on the dash ok, no error codes, all the lights work, etc.?

Is the engine turning over at all, does the starter engage, is the kill switch set to 'run'? :eusa_whistle:

Might be worth checking the sidestand cut-out; think the earlier bikes had an issue as the activating pin shearing off as it was made of plastic.

Finally, if it's been damp, there's a sensor in the RHS air intake that measures air temperature. If that gets damp it can bugger up the running, usually making it quite lumpy and cutting out for about five minutes until it dries out. Mine used to do that after I washed it until I found out the cause. Spray a little water inhibitor (not WD40) on it and see if that helps.

cheers will let him know.

as for the temp sensor thanks as i know the bike is a bitch to start in cold damp weather

Deffo get the battery charged up above 12.5v.

If it doesn't catch try again, but hold the throttle WFO- this usually does the trick. He doesn't want to do this too often cos if it kicks back and dies the sprag clutch gets hammered and it's dear to replace.

Kill switches act up, and the brown multi-plug where the reg/rec plugs into the loom can corrode badly and draw a lot of current away from the starter. Solenoids are sh#te too, but the bike won't even try to turn over if the solenoid is tatered.

Cheers, Chris.

+1 for battery charge. If it won't turn over then look at the starter relay, only a 50a unit from new, had to replace mine with a yamaha one which is 100a. Seems they can burn out quite quick. If it is turning but not firing, dunno I'm afraid. Try jumping it off a car?

+1 for battery charge. If it won't turn over then look at the starter relay, only a 50a unit from new, had to replace mine with a yamaha one which is 100a. Seems they can burn out quite quick. If it is turning but not firing, dunno I'm afraid. Try jumping it off a cliff

HTH

udate!

the falco is going!!!! :eusa_dance:

mate said after charging the battery all night, back up to 13.5 volts

and fare bit of patience on the starter it runs again.

thanks for all the advice :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance: (will be looking into the temp. sensor next!)

Look into it quick...too much starter action will wear the sprag clutch on mille engines. Not good...

Archived