1999 r1 set up

chrisirie

Hi all,

Could anyone let me know the correct road suspension settings for my 1999 r1.

It has new pirelli dragon corsa111's on. 42psi rear - 36psi front. Ohlins damper.

I'm 14st, please describe in leyman's terms.

It the front feels like its going to wash out.

Thanks.

Hi all,

Could anyone let me know the correct road suspension settings for my 1999 r1.

It has new pirelli dragon corsa111's on. 42psi rear - 36psi front. Ohlins damper.

I'm 14st, please describe in leyman's terms.

It the front feels like its going to wash out.

Thanks.

The forks are nearly ten years old, have they ever been revalved? I'd take it to someone like Maxton and get them refurbed, my '99 R1 had a horrible fork action until it was setup properly.

There's some good stuff on YouTube showing how to set static sag, etc. So you may be cheaper starting there.

As Doug has said set the sag correctly as described on youtube or easily found on google then set to the std Yamaha settings to start with although the std rear shock benefitted from more compression damping over std to stop it running wide.

Try this before spending yer hard earned, although its a valid point regarding 10yr old oil.

Good luck.

Set your sag, set adjusters to standard.

Experiment with tyre pressures. I know those are probably the "reccomended" pressures but they sound well high to me. I never run even road bikes with that much in them.

Usually go for about 33/36 cold, depending on make of tyre.

edit; My opinion, not responsible for anything etc.etc.

Set your sag, set adjusters to standard.

Experiment with tyre pressures. I know those are probably the "reccomended" pressures but they sound well high to me. I never run even road bikes with that much in them.

Usually go for about 33/36 cold, depending on make of tyre.

edit; My opinion, not responsible for anything etc.etc.

I did the same on mine as I always do, 36 rear and 34 front cold you seem to get more feel from the tyres at those pressures.

Archived