Rebuilding ducati forks

drunkn munky

Im going to rebuild the forks on my 748 myself and replace the springs with some suitable for my weight, how do i know what spring rate to go for and what weight oil and air gap i need???

Dunno fella,

Perhaps give Maxton or K tech etc a call. Or give a good Ducati dealer that races a call. Maxton used to do my 748 forks for me.

If you buy the springs etc from em then they should only be to happy to help you out id of thought??

When I resprung my forks on the VFR i called these guys. I'd read about them in the mag and saw that he'd told the mag that if the spring rate's wrong he'd take 'em back and swap for a better rate. So I rang him, described what I'd got and what i wanted, springs turned up about 3 days later and they were perfect, static sag spot on first time. Couldn't recommend him highly enough.

Im going to rebuild the forks on my 748 myself and replace the springs with some suitable for my weight, how do i know what spring rate to go for and what weight oil and air gap i need???

spring rate - try racetech.com as they have an on line calculator here

find your bike, enter your weight and riding style and it tells you the spring rate required

Depending upon how heavy you are, its gonna be about 0.9kg/mm

As std it says they are 1.02kg/mm which is very hard for the road unless you weigh about 20stone

for me (200lbs) it comes out with 0.91kg/mm which means using 0.90kg/mm

Oil weight - go std to start with

Damping has to match the springs, so you can't set the damping til the springs are correct

If you run out of adjustment on the rebound/compression then you will have to change oil weight

Air gap - go with std til you understand what your forks are doing

air gap tuning is the last thing on the list - get your springs and damping set first

spring rate - try racetech.com as they have an on line calculator here

find your bike, enter your weight and riding style and it tells you the spring rate required

Depending upon how heavy you are, its gonna be about 0.9kg/mm

As std it says they are 1.02kg/mm which is very hard for the road unless you weigh about 20stone

for me (200lbs) it comes out with 0.91kg/mm which means using 0.90kg/mm

Oil weight - go std to start with

Damping has to match the springs, so you can't set the damping til the springs are correct

If you run out of adjustment on the rebound/compression then you will have to change oil weight

Air gap - go with std til you understand what your forks are doing

air gap tuning is the last thing on the list - get your springs and damping set first

If you have the ohlins forks, they are a bit harsh on the road,

Unless youre massively heavy, or racing, i found in the past that 5w oil and 80mm air gap works better than the stock 7.5 / 85mm set up. ( ohlins measure with the springs in)

As for the showas, i don't know

Mark

Archived