748 sidestand issues...

Paul

I went on a long ride over Colchester way to see a mate from uni, on the way back I stopped at a petrol station to fill'er up. When putting the bike onto the side stand it stopped at the usual angle then plummeted to 45degrees before stopping again with me, heart in mouth and wearing a freshly soiled pair of underwear, scrabbling to lift it back up.

Luckily some friendly chaps in a BMW helped me hold the bike upright while I filled up and even waited, holding the bike while I paid.. so I caned it home in a very furious manner. So now, with the bike in the garage with foam and carpet holding it up against the wall, I'm starting to wonder if this is a common fault? I've not really investigated so see whether the sidestand itself has partly snapped or what, with the side stand down it will flail around a bit but will still take the weight of the bike (not that I trust it to do so).

Anyone have any experience of this?

Other than that, had a brilliant day on the bike, going from Royston to Colchester with a few places in between, avoiding motorways all day (apart from caning it home with a broken sidestand and a furious dave-esque expression on my fizzog).

Italian bikes are renowned for it ;)

They either sit at 45 degrees and threaten to snap the stand.........

......or they sit so upright a gust of wind will easily send them over ;)

The Italians call it "character" :D

If I remember correctly aren't the sidestands mount cast into the case?* I know my SuperSport was and a stern warning was issued in the owners booklet not to overweight or abuse the sidestand. TIG welding anyone?

*I could have dreamed this, as I am aging and can't remember shyte.

I had exactly that. Strangley enough in Colchester too!

Check that both bolts that hold the sidestand in are still there. Dukes are known for vibrating the fuck out of anything not attached by welds.

You'll have lost one of the bolts somewhere. Get a new one from Parkinsons. It'll be at least 80p...........

I thought there was a common mod to put a 996 stand on :thumbsup: or is that 999's and 749's :blink: i'm sure i haven't justt made this up

Thanks for the reply, it makes sense that a bolt will have shaken loose and dropped out somewhere. I'll look into it tomorrow, if needs be I'll pilfer one from work on monday. ;)

On the motorway I also decided that my AGV GP Tech helmet is noisier than a 747 taking off so I need 1) to get some custom moulded ear plugs and 2) I need a bigger screen to get out of the wind a bit.

With the screen I don't like the look of double bubbles on 748/9xx bikes but I have seen bigger screens before, Corse screen IIRC??

Anyone know how much these usually go for or where I might get hold of one??

i have seen and read and heard many ducati side stand issues .of them falling over . no good . need too extra careful with bastard ducati stands

All of the Ducati Side stands are mounted to the cases because there is no frame down there to mount to. When I started working at a Ducati shop I got a stern warning to never kickstand turn the Ducati's because of this, as excessive pressure on the kickstand could make the blots distort the holes and the motor would need new cases. I hope thats not the problem your having. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, it makes sense that a bolt will have shaken loose and dropped out somewhere. I'll look into it tomorrow, if needs be I'll pilfer one from work on monday. :)

On the motorway I also decided that my AGV GP Tech helmet is noisier than a 747 taking off so I need 1) to get some custom moulded ear plugs and 2) I need a bigger screen to get out of the wind a bit.

With the screen I don't like the look of double bubbles on 748/9xx bikes but I have seen bigger screens before, Corse screen IIRC??

Anyone know how much these usually go for or where I might get hold of one??

I've had this same problem with a 748, I found my bike on it's side when we came back to the car deck on the IOM ferry.

It is possible to cold bend the bracket straight, but a new one is strongly recomended (£67), heliciol the engine cases and fit new bolts, (about £20) . But when refitting it all, flood it with locktight thread lock.

It's also worth considering a spot of weld on the bracket, right where the stand pushes againt it, this stops the bike leaning quite so hard on the stand.

It's not 2001 748R no 757 you've got is it ? :eusa_whistle:

Mark

Archived