Bonding with the Fireblade

Strappy

Following comments from Tom, among others, in my most recent, "Gah! I'm a complete fanny!" thread, I took the 'blade out for a run. I went down a road that's reasonably local to where I live; I know the road a bit but haven't ridden it enough to say I know it well. Which is stupid as it's about 10 minutes from my garage - I have no excuse. At least the scenery's quite nice and it's not as though I'm going too fast to see it. :confused:

Anyway, the plan is to get out on the bike much more this year and generally improve my riding. This video isn't hugely impressive, there's no knee-down cornering or wheelie mayhem, I've uploaded it to document my starting point. There'll be other videos through the year and towards the end of summer I'll film this route again so that I can see whether or not I've improved.

If all else fails, at least I'll have fun finding out. :D

Hey Dean, the vid stops at 3:24, could be a problem on my PC?

From watching the video I can't see anything "wrong" with how you are riding, where are you looking to improve? I found that doing trackdays and (getting instruction) greatly improved my riding. I have considered doing further training on the road (especially after my crash last year) but I have not done any more than think about it so far.

I had a quick squint at the other thread - The Fireblade is a great bike and I can't see the point of changing yet, especially if you feel you haven't had the best of it yet. Stick with the blade and see how you go :D

Hey Dean, the vid stops at 3:24, could be a problem on my PC?

Might be, it runs to 4:51 in the edit and on YouTube when I play it on my PC. :unsure:

From watching the video I can't see anything "wrong" with how you are riding, where are you looking to improve?

Thank you. I think my road position is ok, biggest thing I want to improve is my cornering.

(getting instruction)

Ah ... that will hopefully be covered in a later vid ... ;)

Cheers for the comments mate :thumbsup:

OK, I give up, how the fuck did you edit all the cars out?

I live in Scotland - cars are a Southern disease :thumbsup:

Good road positioning, Strappy. A trackday under instruction might be the way to go, but fucked if I know anything about that!

Good road positioning, Strappy. A trackday under instruction might be the way to go, but fucked if I know anything about that!

Cheers Tom :thumbsup:

I've had instruction on previous trackdays, which has ranged from very useful to pretty pointless (instructor pulled in halfway through the session, found him in the paddock talking to his mate and he struggled to remember why I was asking him about my riding :( ).

I did the Ron Haslem "school" a few years ago and have yet to find a more efficient way of spunking away £250.

I talked to the California Superbike guys at the NEC but the furthest north they come is Rockingham and the dates they had available aren't that good for me.

Of course, there's only one track in Scotland so that also doesn't help, particularly when there's some Scottish bloke who looks a bit like a potato telling you what you should and shouldn't be doing ... in April ... :eusa_think:

I'd say more miles, then! They're cheaper.

The local IAM-type place may help, but it seems your goals are very different to theirs.

I wish my riding was that smooth.

Thanks! Maybe I shouldn't mention the 30 minutes of film I edited out :lol:

Moffat road? Headin' North to Embra?? :wtfmore:

That's the one :)

Coming soon, a double bill of the A72 Blyth Bridge to Peebles and highlights of the St. Mary's Loch road :thumbsup:

Given that the last time I rode the latter on the 7R I couldn't keep both wheels on the ground in places, it could be fun :angry:

Archived