Paint removal from frames

tootall

I may be wrong but I think the zx7 frame is painted silver, even though underneath its a rather nice ally. How do I get the paint off without damaging the metal? Most definaltely do not want a polished frame, would be scotchbriting it if neccessary but just want bare ally.

How about a bog standard paint stripper and a wooden scraper? Anything with dichloromethane (Nitromors etc.) in it will strip paint. Scotchbriting looks good but you have to keep on top of it as it oxidises more readily than polished ally. You could strip the paint, scotchbrite it to get a 'brushed' finish then finish it with some fine wet/dry paper (but stopping short of actually polishing it).

Or blast and powder coat.

Not if you don't leave it on for ages. Should be fine. I did my TLS wheels with Nitromors and stiff plastic bristled brush I got from the sink....

I had my 7R glass-beaded and it came up looking sugar frosted.... Was ok because I was having it powder-coated but not a good base for polishing.

Scotchbriting may be the way to go, but just be warned - that standard Kawasaki paint is way tougher than you'd ever think....had a go at removing it myself but eventually gave it to my shotblaster mate...

Archived