Collapsed bearing/stuck shell

TheFlymo

Wotcher all, the disc-side rear wheel bearing on my TL1000S collapsed last weekend. No warning, no rumbles leading up to the event, it just started squealing on a ride out to Box Hill and flopping about in corners. Rode home and removed the wheel and a little pile of balls and flakes of steel fell out.... :tacheemoticonwh7:

No problem thinks I, I have plenty of spare bearings. Trouble is, the way the hub is laid out (600SRAD rear wheel) you can't push the disc-side bearing out without the inner race being present. I've tried protecting the hub with a sheet of metal and levering it out, but it's not playing, doesn't seem to want to budge a thou.

In the meantime I ordered another 600SRAD wheel with a tyre as I found a good deal, but it'd be nice to recover the old one if possible (always nice to have a spare with a tyre mounted)

Any suggestions? Do I just dremel the b@stard out?

Any suggestions? Do I just dremel the b@stard out?

Blowtorch, mallet and a drift?

Which of course in laymans terms means dousing it in brake cleaner and setting it on fire, then using an old screwdriver and and a big fuck off adjustable spanner or vice grips to bate the bastard out :lol:

You've got a few options,

1. If you have or know someone who has an electric welder. Run a beed of weld around the inside of the bearing track, as the weld cools it will contract making the bearing track loose in the hub.

2. If you still have the balls and the inner race, then you can rebuild the bearing enough to drift it out. Stand the wheel upright then drop a dollop of grease at the bottom of the outer bearing track, you can then line all of the balls into the grease touching each other. This should leave a big enough gap to drop the inner race onto the balls. Now you can spread the balls out equally around the bearing and drive the bearing out as you would normally.

3. If you can use a lever, as you were to trey levering it, but just hold it in that position. You can get a mate to try drifting through from t'other side. Move your lever around to the opposite side of the bearing as you go to drive it out squarely.

4. If you have room behind the bearing, then it may be possible to get a thick washer of a big enough diameter to fit against the inner edge of the outer track. You'll need to file flats on opposite sides of the washer so that it can push through and then be pulled flat against the bearing.

You've got a few options,

1. If you have or know someone who has an electric welder. Run a beed of weld around the inside of the bearing track, as the weld cools it will contract making the bearing track loose in the hub.

2. If you still have the balls and the inner race, then you can rebuild the bearing enough to drift it out. Stand the wheel upright then drop a dollop of grease at the bottom of the outer bearing track, you can then line all of the balls into the grease touching each other. This should leave a big enough gap to drop the inner race onto the balls. Now you can spread the balls out equally around the bearing and drive the bearing out as you would normally.

3. If you can use a lever, as you were to trey levering it, but just hold it in that position. You can get a mate to try drifting through from t'other side. Move your lever around to the opposite side of the bearing as you go to drive it out squarely.

4. If you have room behind the bearing, then it may be possible to get a thick washer of a big enough diameter to fit against the inner edge of the outer track. You'll need to file flats on opposite sides of the washer so that it can push through and then be pulled flat against the bearing.

welding is the way to go - you could even try welding a bar to the race to use as a puller - mackle up a kind of slide hammer. This works a treat on blind ball bearings in crankcases, weld a nut on (protect the surfaces with gaffa tape first. as VTR says the heat usually makes the bearing just fall out by itself)

Cheers chaps, welding looks like the way to go, definitely do-able.

Fitted the spare rear off Ebay just now, so I'm back on the road. It's in excellent nick and came with a disc and barely worn Supercorsa Pro too, not bad for £60!

One of the wonders of being single (well, divorced) is that the dishwasher made an excellent parts washer for the old sprocket carrier. With the bearing fresh out of the freezer, I could push it in with one finger. Marvellous.

Archived