Astralite wheels

vfiend

Oldschool Astralite wheels

GPZ%20done%202.JPG

Are they light?

Do they look nice 'in the flesh'?

Where the hell can I find some?

Presuming their not in production and haven't seen any on ebay.

Any help, advice, or stories of pretty one's you've had (no pun intended) much apprecited.

Edit: picture addd

I restoring a Slabside GSX-R at the moment and I'm looking to fit Astralites of other period wheels

They do crop up on Ebay quite a lot but I'm finding the problem is the sizes as more often the not there 18'' or, if their 17'', the front wheel is an odd width, taking a 130 section tyre.

The other issue is that most wheels still knocking around are a bit tatty and need a refurb as you would expect after twenty-thirty years. The best way to do this is to split the wheels, anodise or powder coat the rims and then re-revit or bolt them together but most people in the know advise against splitting them.

Mark

Like B@W said they do come up on the bay from time to time but are quite sought after, there is a seller on that site that seems to get them on a fairly regular basis and I'm sure he's based in Derbyshire. If I remember his user name I'll pm you.

As for lightness, I'm not sure on that but they do look the business on an old school bike.

Good luck.

you might want to try putting a post up on the earlystocks web site www.earlystocks.co.uk.someone might have some knocking around or know someone thats got a pair that they might part with. :shock:

I've got a 5.5" x 17" rear for the RGV, it's not much lighter than standard, but it looks the dogs.

the best thing about them really, is the hubs are removeable so you can fit the ones made for your specific bike, or get some made, so if you see some, but they don't have the hubs you need buy them.

I paid £240 for a pair about 3 - 4 years ago off Ebay.

Funny you should mention Earlystocks Holty...

I'll hopefully be putting them on a bike for the 2010 season / or on the road going spares bike.

(I've been studying your bikes, mwuahaha - just missed a cheap gpshed on fleabay though, bah)

If your at Mallory Sunday I'll likely see you there, I'm amongst the Team Porkchop lot (Dan gpz 288 Simon gs 287) and will be lending a hand / getting in the way.

I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled on ebay then to see whats floating about.

Number 6 - if you remember the name that'd be fandabbydozy - i don't always have the cash when stuff pops up on ebay, so itd be nice to say to someone "when you come across some..."

Astralite.JPG

yes please - although need new bike, wouldn't suit the vfr :beerchug:

Funny you should mention Earlystocks Holty...

I'll hopefully be putting them on a bike for the 2010 season / or on the road going spares bike.

(I've been studying your bikes, mwuahaha - just missed a cheap gpshed on fleabay though, bah)

If your at Mallory Sunday I'll likely see you there, I'm amongst the Team Porkchop lot (Dan gpz 288 Simon gs 287) and will be lending a hand / getting in the way.

I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled on ebay then to see whats floating about.

Number 6 - if you remember the name that'd be fandabbydozy - i don't always have the cash when stuff pops up on ebay, so itd be nice to say to someone "when you come across some..."

Astralite.JPG

yes please - although need new bike, wouldn't suit the vfr :eusa_whistle:

alright mucka,hope you have a great day at mallory.say hello to simon for me,dan`s got one of my old bikes i think(i fell off it in the middle of gerrards......ooops).i can`t recommend earlystocks racin enough mate, i had the time of my life doin it and the people in the club are fantastic.dont study the bikes to much your liable to go and look for something that can go around bends ;)

I'll be sure to say hello, setting off in 7 hours...

If you don't fall off your not trying eh?

Dan's bike seems pukka enough, just got a new paint job and tailpiece, looks the dogs.

Everyone i've met in the earlyshockers paddock seems mint, perfect attitude, couldn't handle all the bullshit of the modern racing clubs; those edgy looks and fierce competition, race days people get cagey when they see me looking at their gixxerthou or vfr400 "i'll lose my racing secrets" I hear them thinking, haha.

Pitty to see your going the mono shock route, the 750 class is a big one this year.

P.S.

Isn't trying to get the heavy old dinosaurs round corners part of the fun? ;)

I'll be sure to say hello, setting off in 7 hours...

If you don't fall off your not trying eh?

Dan's bike seems pukka enough, just got a new paint job and tailpiece, looks the dogs.

Everyone i've met in the earlyshockers paddock seems mint, perfect attitude, couldn't handle all the bullshit of the modern racing clubs; those edgy looks and fierce competition, race days people get cagey when they see me looking at their gixxerthou or vfr400 "i'll lose my racing secrets" I hear them thinking, haha.

Pitty to see your going the mono shock route, the 750 class is a big one this year.

P.S.

Isn't trying to get the heavy old dinosaurs round corners part of the fun? :D

trying to get them to stop is fun as well :huh: :eusa_pray:i think i`ve got enough parts lying around to get a mono shock gpz built without hacking the race bike about.if you want to have a taster of the racing your more than welcome to take mine out for a blast,it`s just sitting there at the moment doing nothin and it`s another bike on the grid :eusa_dance:

trying to get them to stop is fun as well :eusa_pray:i think i`ve got enough parts lying around to get a mono shock gpz built without hacking the race bike about.if you want to have a taster of the racing your more than welcome to take mine out for a blast,it`s just sitting there at the moment doing nothin and it`s another bike on the grid :huh:

Pm sent he's in Malton is that up your way?

That'll be "peteyrs" at Yorkshire Rally Spares - he's into drag racing and occasionally breaks the odd bike. His shop is literally 2 minutes from my house!

Astralites aren't as light as they look, but they are mighty purty! The chap who makes Scitsu tachos used to make them - Dawson Harmsworth.

There are several reasons I shouldn't borrow yours,

1) I've never been on a track*,

2) I've never ridden anything that old above 20mph,

3) I'm young and stupid and only have about 20k miles experience on bikes,

4) Here's my vfr Dan put back together for me:

DSC00216.jpg

(no that's not after he put it back together)

If you decide to get rid this coming winter though (when i'll eventually have money again -damn new job), i'll be happy to hassle you :shock:

edit:

*(Don't think motoX counts in this instance)

*(Did drive the van backwards round mallory into the paddock though)

you`ve never been on track?well we`ve all gotta start somewhere.being young and stupid is a bonus when your racing a bike,you`ve been to a club race you know what i mean.it may be a bit older than your vfr but it can go round bends pretty well and will outbrake a lot of more modern stuff(i love AP calipers).and as for lobbing it dont worry,i`ve fell off more times than i care to remember and they do crash pretty well.there you go, no excuses now ;) .seriously if you want to try it on a trackday its no problem as i`m planning to do a few soon so you can book in on yours do a few sessions then take the GPZ out for a few to get a feel for it and to see if it`s for you.it`s cheaper than buying one then deciding it`s not for you.have a think about it then let me know mucka.cheers,steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost forgot bout this thread... whoops.

I must thank you very much for the offer Steve, should be getting acu license next month, so may take you up on the offer at some point this summer, least not to get a ride on a proper sorted bike (i've been told you won the 750 class coupla years ago?).

I'm fast running out of excuses not to, Simon's even offered me loan of his spare 1pc leathers, so i'll be out sometime this year on something on track to get a feel for it all.

Take it easy fella.

Gary.

Archived