Painting or touching up Brake Calipers

FRYTBYTES

The brake calipers on my bike (2002 hornet) are faded and a bit dull looking.

Would love to change them to shiny gold ones or something but credit crunch and all means no.

Is it a good idea to paint them, they are black (well suppose to be black).

I'm just trying to get the bike looking as good as possible. I'd like to either get them painted black or red. Or use something to clean them up to a shiny black or something???

Any ideas or am i talking a load a s hit.

*watches with interest*

Oh, go on then...

untitled.jpg

Sorry, I can't help with cleaning calipers. What about some of that 'back to black' stuff?

You can buy brake caliper aerosols.I got mine mail order from Frosts as they were the only people with Gold in stock.Strip them down,clean them really well and mask off the pistons and any surfaces you don't want painting.I took the opportunity to remove the pistons and replace the seals at the same time.

When I've cleaning my bike (s) with the rough black finish, I use a VERY SMALL amount of 'vinyl gel' as made by Autosmart. Works wonders.

I say a small amount, as it's slippery stuff and so you really don't need that on your discs/pads. Unless you want to out-brake everything.

It's also good for any black plastic -undertrays and stuff.

Hey up folks, done a fair few calipers in the past.

You can buy specific caliper paint from an auto factors, cleaning them is key and i use a concentrated washing up liquid in boiling water, then a thinners after i have prepped the caliper, ployeurethane paints are hard wearing but dont like brake fluid, synthetic is far from hard wearing and bubbles with a drop of fluid, 2k stands the fluid test and is quick drying and easy to use, by using a matt or semi matt paint the finish doen't have to be mint, use gloss and it highlits the roughness of cast metal.

so to conlude clean prep (scothbright/metal pad)

can degrease with white spirit or brake cleaner!

prime (acid etch primer)

matt or semi matt black,

to gloss, filler prime first then flat back,then top coat.

Or if you have bays at work, do a pro job. but ace results can be acheived at home with a little effort.

got my zzr 600 calipers powder coated in a coulour close to standed,and in 2 years there has been no problems ..................the bike dosnt get laid up fer winter.....and it cost a tenner a caliper......

just had my gsxr 11 front calipers done.

new pistons x8 and seals, stainless brake nipples x4 and powder coated, just under 100 quid.

well chuffed with his work and turnaround.

hes on notts/derby border

and on fleabay if anyone is interested.

Been here myself some time back with Blade RRV Calipers.

To clean them I stuck them in an Ultrasonic cleaner - really clean coming out. SO clean infact that the 'paint' was removed on one caliper but not the others. Rang Honda to say, what paint do you use...Answer... It's not paint it's a molyedunum coating that shouldn't come off.

Tried the auto factors paint - brilliant finish but don't use a brush.........

So, took them to be peened then Power coated with a matt finish - the nuts and like the previous post, not expensive - £10 per half caliper.

Hope this helps.

French

Archived