Funny Tyre Wear..

johnboy636

Took the 950sm out for a blast during the week, and after the odd front end twitch I looked at the front tyre.

Well, the way the tyre has worn is a bit odd, its kinda like a 50 pence piece looking in profile.

The tread wear indicators at either side are wore to fuck all and the middle section of the tyre isn't too bad. Having generally got used to the middle being shagged and the edges being like new, this is a bit odd to me.

The tyres are the original Pirelli Scorpion Sync with about 4.5k miles on the them.

Anybody shed any light??????

:pb2::pb2:

Tyre pressures are the obvious check.

Can also be a symptom of dodgy wheel / headstock bearings, get the front wheel off the ground (in the workshop!) and try moving the wheel about feeling for free play, and move the bars lock to lock.

Loose headbearings feel really obvious on the ground - can often just be adjusted, notchy ones you can feel lightly with the wheel off the ground - unfortunately need replacing, looking at £50-60parts plus coupla hours, still cheaper than an ovalised headstock though!

Bearings should be easily picked up in an mot or service test ride though.

I've had this problem from a combination duff fr. wheel bearing and leaky front left fork before (i know i know!)

Either that or your just riding it like a demon through the corners :beerchug:

Tyre pressures are recommended 33PSI front and back.

All bearings (wheel, headstock) are tight as the proverbial drums, and all appears well.

If its the riding like a demon that has fooked the tyres, somebody else has the keys to the garage!! :thumbsup:

Who knows?? just get a new tyre and see what happens anyway!

Cheers all!

My mates 640lc4 wares in exactly the same way. He uses avon distanzia by the way... similar tyre i think? might be your style and the bikes general chasis set up... Take pride, he rides like a complete fuckin loon to get the front to ware in that way!

I could end up firing the whole fuckin' lot in through a hedge some day! ;)

Well it is a SM so do it on the back wheel :mad::eusa_dance:

Archived