Sealed batteries

deviant

So...the ZXR has a sealed battery in it - no breather, no filling caps, warnings printed on the side saying "do not open".

Does this mean that it doesn't have to be fitted upright? I'm thinking of moving it to tidy up the underseat area, and for it to fit it would have to go in at about 30deg from lying on it's side (ie about 60deg off upright)

No it dosen't...It WILL leak out if you do that.

You'll be wanting a gel type to do that -like of an R1 or similar...check the terminals first though. Also check your being sold a proper gel battery, and not the same size/shape battery with acid in.

Gel batteries take a bit more looking after as they discharge constantly...so an optimate or similar is essential.

You need a factory sealed gel battery too. If you get a proper one they'll work on their side or even upside down.

Yuasa website has info on on it and part numbers. I was looking at them for my SP2.

You need a factory sealed gel battery too.

Not true. Bosch make one where you add a fluid (not acid, but it's the same principal) to create a reaction to make the gel. It's then a gel bettery, able to go upside down.

They do that to avoid the problem of the battery discharging during shipping.

If you get an AGM battery, then you can use them in any orientation - you add the acid, then the glass matting in the battery absorbs it and you seal it - simple :).

Varta do them for a decent price (and they're same sort of quality as Yuasa)

The problem I see is that the seal is only as good as the punter fitting it. I'm not sure I'd trust it because it's an expensive error if it goes shit-shaped on you.

I used to have a cheapo gel battery on my TRX and it was the best battery I've ever had. Super strong cold cranking power, even after being left a fair few weeks.

The way to test if your battery will leak is to put it on its side and then gently place it on an expensive shirt for a few days.

You can guarantee it will not spill a micro-spot on the shirt, but puke it's acid guts all over your bike the first time you leave it parked away from your house leaving it looking like a prop from Aliens.

I used to have a cheapo gel battery on my TRX and it was the best battery I've ever had. Super strong cold cranking power, even after being left a fair few weeks.

I had to buy a replacement battery for the R1 a few years ago, the original one died after being left too long over winter, it never recovered.

After I'd picked myself up off the floor when the Yam dealers told me the price of an OE one, I got one from westco batteries for about half the price.

it's a totally sealed glass-mat type, it didn't need filling or anything and, 3-4 years on, has been faultless to date. If I needed a new battery, I'd buy another one of these without question.

can't remember from where I got it, but the UK supplier seems to be http://www.tayna.co.uk/

I know abit about batteries as i work on electrically powered fork lifts.

The problems with wet batteries, even if they are sealed, is the water inside will not be completely covering the plates if you tip it on its side, hence you will reduce the capacity of the battery in one fell swoop, so this might be enough after its a couple of years and a cold morning in not giving enough for the starter and ignition to work at full power.

Gel is your best bet for this operation, but gel batteries work on charge cycles, ie it will only take 250 charges from full to flat before it's buggered.

Archived