Shock rebuild - DYI job?

Tomfoolery

Is it possible for someone of average mechanical ability to rebuild a shock themselves?

It's a ZZR600 model.

Er...that's about it.

Cheers!

Is it possible for someone of average mechanical ability to rebuild a shock themselves?

It's a ZZR600 model.

Er...that's about it.

Cheers!

No..... the shock will possibly need several hundred PSI of Nitrogen in the gas reservoir and my not be rebuildable at all.... Not 100% sure about the last part but I do know it is not a simple job.

Must be something modern that fits in there Tom.

Standard shocks from road bikes can be picked up of ebay for small amounts, my 954 shock brand new was £17 and a brand new shock for the SP2 was £50 delivered from the USA.

Have you got the old one out?

DYI= Do Yourself In. Fuck about with vices and G-clamps like thefatman and I did then the title'll come true sooner or later.

Nitrogen's there rather than air as its expansion remains linear when heated, unlike air, which means your shock will remain consistant after heavy use. Except they never do, do they.

Anyway, if you've a shock with an external reservoir and you're feeling brave then it's all perfectly do-able. Bike shops have pumps that go up to a couple of hundred PSI, I bought one from decathlon the other day for only about £10, or if you're feeling really posh, just get it regassed at your local shock rebuildery. May I suggest that place in wandsworth who's name I've forgotten.

I do my own

This is my last one linky

Have previously done YZ250, KMX200, and since have done an Elka

If you got mechanical skills you can do it.

You may need spring compressor

You will need shock oil (I use Motul sock oil)

You will need access to nitorgen to pressurize shock

altenraltivley, send it to Rev's racing in Halesowen

Archived