Repairing Carbon Fibre Exhausts?

rusty

I've managed to split the carbon fibre on one of my cans and it's now blowing a bit. Would it be possible to patch it up with a piece of fibreglass out of one of those Fastglass kits like they do in Halfords?

It doesn't have to be pretty as you can't see the area where it's split so I don't want to be spending £200 on an Akrapovic repair kit!

I agree with Zakalwe, once you stripped it all down, you may as well swap it over to a new sleeve if A16 do the same size/weave etc, if they are different and the price is good, change both over and freshen up the exhaust packing, ready for Spring

I don't think it would bond properly as you don't know what resin they used to create the exhaust in the first place, also you need a lot of pressure and heat to get it to bond properly, I would suggest the re-sleave option also.

But hey you could give it a go and then if it fails go for the re-sleave what have you got to lose.

To replace the tube is it just a case of drilling out the rivets in the bands, pulling them off then sliding the old carbon fibre tube off and the new one on?

Sounds pretty simple if it is :lol:

Strip it down and rebuild it

BimCan21.jpg

You need some stainless steel wire wool, wadding, stainless zipties and SEALED rivets.

BimCan22.jpgBimCan27.jpg

Lay the wool on and then the wadding, this is to stop the wadding blowing out through the pipe. Then use the zipties to hold it all on tight.

BimCan26.jpgBimCan28.jpg

Use a good heavy duty riveting tool as the rivets are tough I bent the yellow one.

BimCan32.jpg

WEAR GLOVES - the wire wool will cut your hands and the wadding is glass wool !!!

Archived