Oil pump bleeding

davektm

I have just finished doing a top end rebuild on my RS250 Aprilia, I have bled the 2-stroke oil pump as per the manual but I wanted to get oil through the injector pipes that go into the barrel etc. I thought I could do this by holding the pump wide open and kicking the bike over with the ignition off and the plugs out but after a lot of kicking I can't seem to get any oil throught to the end of the pipe.

Will I be ok to just fire the bike up and hope that the pump will get the oil to the engine before any major damage is done?

As I bought the bike in bits I am not 100% that the pump works, I am pretty certain it does but I suppose time will tell if it doesn't smoke after start up...

To make sure that the pump is working can you rig it up to an electric drill and spin it that way? Ive never had an RS250 in bits but have done it that way with other bikes. The problem with kicking it is that the pump drive runs at around half crank speed on the ones Ive come across so kicking it over is never gonna get any oil through. In the past I have started the bike after a rebuild without bleeding the lines between the pump and the engine first and got away with it. As long as everything was lubed up before re-assembly then it shouldnt be a problem. This was on an old 350LC though so the oilways are really short and its a lot more crude than an RS250. If you wanted to play it safe then you could always rig the drill up to the pump with the oil lines all connected and turn it over for a little while to get some oil in there I guess. Hope this helps, Ben.

Or just run it on premix until oil appears in the delivary lines...

Probably the best bet.

Set up some kind of temporary tank with 1/2 litre of premixed fuelo in it take it from there.

I fired it up today without bleeding the lines and it seems to be smoking away ok, only thing is I took off the oil lines from the pump and there doesn't seem to be much evidence of oil pouring out!!!

Oh my god!! put some premix in the tank!!!!!!!!!!!. the pump will need priming if i remember rightly. but the manual or a forum such as the RGV forum will tell you how much oil the pump will put out per minute. But please please run premix in it until you are 1000% sure the pump is working right.

• 2 months later...

Just as a guide to others reading this, I just rebuilt my RG250, the pump on this delivers less than 3ml, with the pump held fully open at 2000 rpm for 2 minutes!!! At tick over oil barely escapes the pipes!!

Which would be true because the pump delivers different amounts of 2 stroke for different throttle openings i.e. at tickover it would be about a ratio of 70 to 1 when wide open about 20 to1, so if you were to change to sythetic oil, which needs less than the mineral based 2 stroke you would need to adjust the amount the pump pumps, just set up a premix, let the bike tick over, open the pump fully(manually) and see how much comes out.

Archived