Z750 starting issue

mav

I have been told this may have been the same prob the mag recently had with the Z1000.

When you put in the key all is well till you hit the starter, then all lights go out and sometimes go back on when you release the starter.

idea's? or questions please chaps.

Mav

Sounds like a flat battery to me.

The lights dimming would be the drain from the solenoid/starter mechanism, but there's not enough juice to actually turn it over?

Dave

Loose terminals on the battery or a loose wire, id also check the voltage to make sure it is charging correctly

Might be a loose side stand cut out switch as well

Would a side stand cut off cause the speedo to blank?

Low on power I can check.

but the lights didnt dim, they went out completely - like all power was cut.

In that case, I go with kwakbiker's suggestion - a loose connection somewhere. If *everything* cuts out, but then comes back, it ain't a fuse so there', at a guess, a rather important wire that's connecting most of the time, but isn't done up tightly....

Or I could just be talking shite.

As usual.

Dave

My 9R did just that, then died. Fooked reg/rec...I got different values than the manual suggested when I checked it (although the new one didn't match either, but was closer).

I'd suggest either the battery is fooked as Wavey says, or the reg/rec. Should be able to get pattern stuff for less than Kawasaki parts though.

My GSR used to cut out, but the lights stayed on, it was the fuel injection relay/wiring to it, happend about 6 times, had a new relay etc, the last time it did it was also the last straw, sold it that day, I'd just done an insane lap of a favourite roundabout, flicked it upright and half way up the slip road it died, brain said to me if that happened 20 seconds ago you'd be waiting for an ambulance.

Would a side stand cut off cause the speedo to blank?

Low on power I can check.

but the lights didnt dim, they went out completely - like all power was cut.

I would most deffo be looking at the connections to and from the battery firstly. Would then check the earth points and then the wiring to the ignition and starter switches, decent multimeter should make it easy to check the resistance in the wiring :eusa_whistle:

Was working the side stand option as you said it cut out, tis a classic on lots of bikes

• 3 weeks later...

Turned out it was a corroded fuse box, some numptie made the seal brittle (not me a diff numptie) and then this numptie putting the bike away hot and wet got moisture in there.

Archived