What shock for TDM850 engine'd FZR400RRSP???

rich7/12

Hiya,

I've just picked up an awesome FZR400RRSP chassis heavily modified to suit a TDM850 engine.

The bits are all falling into place but I need a rear shock.

Any suggestions on what I could use?

Std 400RR?

A.n.other brand of 400RR shock?

Something different? R6?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

I've got a lovely low miles shock off an '07 zx6r, only done 200 miles so like new, was taken off bike for ohlins to go on for track. Really good condition aside from very few scratches on the spring. All adjusters good, no corrosion at all and only looking for £50 for it.

PM me if you're interested and all sort you a pic and dimensions.

That ^^ sounds like it could be a runner if it fits ...

I think some R6 shocks will fir the FZR with minimum effort.

I'd suggest PM'ing a member named "suspensionsmith" as he's got a *cough* slightly modified FZR400 and would probably be able to help you.

TDM engine in sporty little chassis? Sounds like a hoot :thumbsup:

You want the later version R6 shock (with the red spring) and an extension piece ... you can get them off e-bay.

When you say a RRSP frame (chances are it's an RR cos they're the same) I assume you mean the 3TJ / 4DX type as in the pic below ...

TeeJay12.jpg

If it's like this one below ....

3en2x009.jpg

Then use the same shock but grind the square mount to be round and use a 25mm jack up kit (shorter dog bones)

Hi all,

thanks for the feedback

Evilchicken0 - it is just like the first pic!... what's the model designation of that one? 4J ???

Liamo - I've not ridden a FZR400 or a TDM, but I have a 650 Bros, so I'm hoping it'll be just like a focussed, faster Bros basically! The bike is full of very trick work - centralised mini ally fuel tank, ram air sealed airbox, nive fab'd breather catch tanks, ally coolant expansion tank built into headstock doubling up as extra bracing... it's very nicely done. Just needs finishing!!... I've found a motor/carbs/loom for good money so it's dangerously close to 'going-to-happen'!

I'll stick a thread up in the readers bikes section soon.

Suspension-smith!! I totally need your help... if mine can be 10% as cool as yours, then I'm on a winner.

kawafookin636 - I'd be interested in those dims - sounds like we've got a plan... (I've pm'd)

Cheers,

Rich

Liamo - I've not ridden a FZR400 or a TDM, but I have a 650 Bros, so I'm hoping it'll be just like a focussed, faster Bros basically!

The lads are building a 650 Bros Special, would be something for you to compare to when finished!!

The model designation is 3TJ - this is the Japanese import and 4DX is for the European model. The 4DX is only used on the Europe only parts (lights, speedo CDI etc).

Use the R6 shock and change the spring or use it on the lowest compresion setting.

The lads are building a 650 Bros Special, would be something for you to compare to when finished!!

Yeah - looking forward to seeing that - I'm still missing my last 650 Bros (gotta have more than one Bros at any one time!) - that had a CBR600 front end, Fuel can and was cheap and scruffy, so I didn't care about throwing it down the raod (which happened at Anglessey...).

I think I'll try and get hte FZR ready for the 8th and give it a run up at Anglessey...

I'd love to see pics of the bike as it takes shape please. I'd heard stories, fables if you will, of a TDM/TRX engined FZR400 but never actually seen one.

I'd love to see pics of the bike as it takes shape please. I'd heard stories, fables if you will, of a TDM/TRX engined FZR400 but never actually seen one.

Hi Kayla,

no worries - here's some that show it just as I bought it (inc piece of wood propping up the rear end... hence this thread!!)

d908_1.jpg

e0bc_1.jpg

The dummy tank/sealed airbox/centralised ally fuel tank.

e316_1.jpg

Fab'd ally subframe/catch tank.

e804_1.jpg

ea2d_1.jpg

RGV front end.

eccc_1.jpg

Cool headstock bracing/expansion tank, scitsu tacho, brembo brake cylinder.

I've had a few hours to poke around it today and it is really pukka. All the bodywork is held on with very neat 1/4 turn dzus, the dummy tank is AWESOME. The centralised tank ha been done really well with a very nice filler, fuel pump, all the breathers sorted etc. Can't wait to get a motor in it and give it a go.

I've managed to get hold of a very nice 2004 R6 shock which went in easily but is too short (I think). Hopefully easy fix with shorter dog bones. Thanks to everyone above who offered shocks/help.

I'll keep you posted as it develops.

Cheers, Rich

You may find the standard r6 spring abit hard at around 10.2kg/mm.How much do you weigh?.

Also instead of shortening dogbones a better way is the top shock mount where it bolts into the frame,you can adjust the mount to suit or get a more adjustable item off a mob called bdk engineering in the uk.

By the way,cool bike ,should be a hoot.

Rich, That is going to be fantastic.

Which model TDM engine is it built for? There are 2 different ones 3tx or the 4tx which is all but a few things the same as a TRX engine.

Dam hard to get hold a good second hand one though.

You may find the standard r6 spring abit hard at around 10.2kg/mm.How much do you weigh?.

Also instead of shortening dogbones a better way is the top shock mount where it bolts into the frame,you can adjust the mount to suit or get a more adjustable item off a mob called bdk engineering in the uk.

By the way,cool bike ,should be a hoot.

Hiya, you might be right bout the spring... I'm 6'3" and 14st though so maybe. I thought I'd find it a little cramped but its not as bad as I thought. Proof will be in the pinning though...

The top mount does have a lot of scope as you say - that might be the fix - cheers!

I'm chuffed you think it's got potential - just need to get cracking on it!

Rich

Rich, That is going to be fantastic.

Which model TDM engine is it built for? There are 2 different ones 3tx or the 4tx which is all but a few things the same as a TRX engine.

Dam hard to get hold a good second hand one though.

Cheers Monty_zac, I think it'll be great fun - not sure on the engine question though... niavely maybe, I thought there wasn't too much between the TDM engine's? I should try and find out for sure.

I've managed to secure a '99 4tx motor so I hope it should just drop in.... only one way to find out.

Do you have any info on the differences between 3tx and 4tx? Hopefully not too much difference especially engine mounts!

Cheers,

Rich

Mounting is all the same, the early one (not the one you have) has the oil tank separate from the engine, yours it sits on top of the gear box.

Other than that its the firing order that differs, 3VD (not 3TX sorry) was 180 deg and the 4TX is 270 deg.

They do however use oil, so the later engine has a sight window that helps check it, best keep an eye on it every time you ride.

Mounting is all the same, the early one (not the one you have) has the oil tank separate from the engine, yours it sits on top of the gear box.

Other than that its the firing order that differs, 3VD (not 3TX sorry) was 180 deg and the 4TX is 270 deg.

They do however use oil, so the later engine has a sight window that helps check it, best keep an eye on it every time you ride.

Ahaa, that explains the nice fabricated ally oil tank I've got in the box of bits that came with it...

It won't fit the bike as it currently stands however, so I wonder if the bike has run with both the earlier and later engines...?

Anyway, thanks for the info!

Rich

can remember the bike off ebay, did you get it for 500ish quid? thought about it myself till I found out how expensive tdm/trx engines are and how they're made of cheese. even spoke to the guy that built it, he got rid due to using too many engines!

can remember the bike off ebay, did you get it for 500ish quid? thought about it myself till I found out how expensive tdm/trx engines are and how they're made of cheese. even spoke to the guy that built it, he got rid due to using too many engines!

erm, thanks for that... I think...?

Yes it was a (bargain, I think) 1/2 grand. Plus the project has moved on again with the addition of this:

8177_1.jpg

In the box was also a full wiring loom, two coils, throttle tube/cables, starter solenoid plus engine mounting bolts etc ... :eusa_whistle:

There's a CDI in the post (hopefully), so we've nearly got all the bits.

This is dangerously close to going-to-happen.

My plan is too keep it standard apart from race system and filter/ram airbox.

When I spoke to the previous owner (the guy your guy sold it to) he said the bike was eating cranks as the motors were in a silly state of tune...

Anyway, I'll start a thread in 'Projects...' when I'm bolting it together.

The original premise for the TRX was by 2 French guys in the early '90's who grafted a TDM motor into a FZR400 frame. The look was not too far off what we know of today (if you look at a TRX, it looks soooo much like a parts bin special) Apparently Japan was very interested and the bike was freighted over there. A young Japanese designer, who is famous for designing jukeboxes finished off the design brief. Found most of this info off the Net.

Other variations of the TDM / TRX line have been the OVER Trx project and the HYPERPRO Trx "TROLL" project.

Bob

Archived