Brembo Cast Iron Discs?

Gobert23

Let me begin by sayin' <expletive> :eusa_wall:

Yup, I bought a pair of nice, clean, cast iron Brembo discs from da' bay, for my Ducati 916; to find that they are a. the correct pattern and b. the correct diameter (actually, they've very clean as well with plenty life left).

Excellent start, eh? <_<

There's one small drawback... The offset (the offset of the disc face to the face of the carrier) is too much for my ol' 916 Strada. So, without digging deeper, I guess that they must be from a later 'R' model machine.

My question is that, is is possible to buy a set of disc carriers and swap the outer rotor? Yes, new floatin' bobbins would be required as well.

Where could I source the bits and is it worth the hassle?? (actually, I'm probably the only one who can answer the question about 'hassle' :angry: )

Should I just throw the towel in and put them back ont'bay?

G

Try Harris. They currently sell Brembo rotors on Harris-made carriers.

I looked at the same disks but thankfully checked the offset before I did. I think you need to run wide track yolks or, as you suggest, change the carriers but I can't imagine that will be cheap as they're a narrow track disk (I think)

Mark

I looked at the same disks but thankfully checked the offset before I did. I think you need to run wide track yolks or, as you suggest, change the carriers but I can't imagine that will be cheap as they're a narrow track disk (I think)

Mark

Hey ho, eh?

I called the dealer first, but the machanic that I normally talk to was away. Being a bit (stupid?) impulsive I thought they be fine.

You live and learn eh?

Wide track forks/yokes are a pain in the shirt... (I've been there, tried that)

I'll give Harris a bell and see what the script is :icon_puke_r: (currently sick as a parrot though)

Hey ho, eh?

I called the dealer first, but the machanic that I normally talk to was away. Being a bit (stupid?) impulsive I thought they be fine.

You live and learn eh?

Wide track forks/yokes are a pain in the shirt... (I've been there, tried that)

I'll give Harris a bell and see what the script is :unsure: (currently sick as a parrot though)

You've paid a good price so get 'em relisted.

I learnt years ago that there is an amazing amount of uncompatibility between street bikes and Corse/RS parts and it still bites me on the arse on a regular basis.

Mark

How much out are they?

I'll need to measure them up against the other, existing, discs.

I've already had to have a bit of a play about with the caliper carriers (thanks are due to Harris Performance again and some lateral thinking from the mechanic) as getting the disc to sit perfectly central needed a little bit of work.

I've already got a set of cast iron discs on the original Brembo/3 spoke wheels, I really just wanted another set (of the same) for the refurbished Marchesini wheels.

It would've meant that I could swap between 'show' and 'go' wheels without having to play about with spacers (or having swap discs).

Harris haven't called back yet, but I can see sellin' this set and sourcing another set being the 'easier' option.

Yeah, there's a world of difference between 'road' and 'Corse/Ducati Performance' (i.e. 'race') parts. A bit like HRC parts and Honda. One part requires another part, which requires another part... and so on.

Getting everything together is a real jigsaw (and not everyone sells 'servicable' parts either).

G

Yeah, there's a world of difference between 'road' and 'Corse/Ducati Performance' (i.e. 'race') parts. A bit like HRC parts and Honda. One part requires another part, which requires another part... and so on.

Exactly right. The kit parts are designed to work with the other kit parts rather than the old tat they fit to the road bikes! I've discovered this the hard way before!*

*Ex-Yanagawa ZX7R fuel tank. That needed the factory airbox. That needed the factory carbs. That needed the frame modifying....

Exactly right. The kit parts are designed to work with the other kit parts rather than the old tat they fit to the road bikes! I've discovered this the hard way before!*

....and I wondered why my Duke hasn't turned a wheel in three years :blink:

Well the Marchesini wheels that fit the Bimota were also standard on the Laverda 750 parallell twin.

But I've got a set of new (250 miles) Brembos I think they have a 10mm offset but I can measure them. They are the standard RSVR Apprilla type carrier and use countersunk carrier bolts.

IMG_1595.jpg

You can get new carriers from Stealth

No 'playing' involved...

You've got to undo the 4 caliper bolts even if you've got identical sets of wheels and discs and it isn't as if you are racing where every second on wheel changes counts is it?

Rather than undoing the 4 caliper bolts I'm suggesting that you undo the 4 caliper bracket bolts (so the same workload) when you swap the front wheels and slip a small spacer behind each caliper bracket before doing the bolts back up.

Not exactly onerous and would cost you the grand total of about £10 for the spacers....

Mille(x2) you make a lot of sense.

Nope, I don't think I'll be counting the seconds shaved off my track <cough> time. Most things with me are measured in cups of tea...

Spacers are definately the cheap(er) option, but even a set of new mounting plates are going to be cheaper than new disc carriers (I would guess?)

:wub:

• 2 weeks later...

How about machining some of the wheel itself, has the added advantage of making it lighter, you could always make a spacer if you wanted to put the std discs back on. Obviously only do this if safe - machine shop would be able to advise.

Was checking today to see if there was any lucky in getting anyone to make a set of new centres, but no luck at all.

Looks like they be going onto the 'Pin Board' and eBay. ;);)

They'll be going 'cheap' if anyone fancies trying them on something else?

Archived