Carbon fairings

tootall

Better or worse than normal track fairings? Do they explode? Crack? Shatter? Bend?

Oh and how much weight saving could you expect with a full set? Seat and front mudguard included.

Depends on whether they are decent pre-preg carbon-kevlar or cheap wet lay carbon-grp....

Decent carbon-kevlar fairings weigh fuck all (about 1/3rd the weight of GRP) and crash very well and cheaper ones don't and are about the same weight as GRP.

However.....pre-preg carbon-kevlar farings are not cheap. If you want a full set made by HRC's only aproved UK manufacturer you will be talking £1.5k for openers..

Cheers, wont be buying top notch new ones then! Have got a (supposedly) ex Walker belly pan, just have to keep searching for s/h bits.

In my scientific survey of 1... which is almost enough to prove your skin will look ten years younger!

Resilient, repairable, very very tough stuff. Curiously absorbant of energy as well

I believe it is possible to repair CF fairings when GRP would have disappeared in a cloud of dust and splinters. 1 set of CF and some repairs are probably cheaper than several sets of disposable GRP cheapies, maybe.

Andy

ps it looks super cool too, especially the stuff that is extra thin and is a layer of silk backing with cf on top. I wouldn't care if it was 10 tons.

just get normal ones!!

unless you have to much cash!

Or unless your trying to lose as much weight as poss off a lardy zx7r. Anyway shant be paying proper money for them. Have just located an ex suzuka 8hr fairing complete with halogens :eusa_whistle:

Or unless your trying to lose as much weight as poss off a lardy zx7r. Anyway shant be paying proper money for them. Have just located an ex suzuka 8hr fairing complete with halogens :icon_salut:

:eusa_dance: , and indeed :eusa_dance:

You have a moral responsibility to post some pics as soon as you have possession of the aforementioned items.

If ye wanna loose weight of a bike like that get light wheels and maybe lighter more modern forks light sprockets and disc's!

save weight where it matters...

at least light running gear will improve the performance...

a body kit in addition to that might have an affect.

be cheaper just to put less fuel in :icon_blackeye:

ZX7R's are just born heavy. I spend thousands on one trying to make it lighter.

Wheels are definitely a good place to start. The exhaust downpipes weigh a ton as well.

I reckon Olly Crick nicked most of my ideas when he did the PB one.

album_pic3.jpg

zx7build003.jpg

In the limited experience of Phase One, riders aka 'The Enemy' will crash bikes just as effectively with Carbon bodywork on as any other material, in fact higher cost usually equates to more damage. :D

Seriously though, get the photos up, can't wait to see that bodywork, TKF?

:thumbsup: , and indeed :icon_salut:

You have a moral responsibility to post some pics as soon as you have possession of the aforementioned items.

Where's the "rubbing hands in anticipation" smiley?

If ye wanna loose weight of a bike like that get light wheels and maybe lighter more modern forks light sprockets and disc's!

save weight where it matters...

at least light running gear will improve the performance...

a body kit in addition to that might have an affect.

be cheaper just to put less fuel in :eusa_wall:

Dymags, zx10r forks, 520 chain kit all on their way.

ZX7R's are just born heavy. I spend thousands on one trying to make it lighter.

Wheels are definitely a good place to start. The exhaust downpipes weigh a ton as well.

I reckon Olly Crick nicked most of my ideas when he did the PB one.

album_pic3.jpg

zx7build003.jpg

Akrapovic full system also on the way.

:icon_salut::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ISTR hearing something about the frame on the 7R being filled with rubber (and hence firking heavy) for reasons relating to noise/vibration.

Tis true. However, have an option on an ex yanagawa works frame I'm trying to convince my self to buy. :thumbsup:

Carbon fibre by definition is a brittle substance, but not compared to GRP, however Kevlar/Aramid has a none catastrophic yield quality i.e. it tears rather than shatters. Thats why superbike/gp teams use a combination of the two, CF/Kevlar very good but very expensive and hard to work with.

So,

GRP cheap and brittle but relatively heavy.

CF strong and light and pricey.

Kevlar/Aramid strong light and durable but very expensive and a real pain to work with (drill cut etc) it is bullet proof after all.

Tis true. However, have an option on an ex yanagawa works frame I'm trying to convince my self to buy. :ph34r:

So which parts of the bike you are buying from Gray/Col are you actually going to use?

Our Carbon fairing had to be repaired twice....Don't ask... The second was Andy's highside and it is going to be fine. If you want it really strong you can apparently have a single layer of silk put on the inside! There is another material which can be layered inside the carbon fairing which really is super tough. I forget what it is called...To late to think right now. But where glass is in a million bits the carbon can just be worn through or have a bit of imact damage... I would reccomend Carbon as it can be saved in a lot more crashes then GRP but there will always be some crashes which will kill any fairing.

There is another material which can be layered inside the carbon fairing which really is super tough. I forget what it is called...To late to think right now.

Kevlar?

I've got some MS Productions pre-preg body work for my Duke which has Kevlar tape on the edges and around the fixings: the inside of the panels look super trick

All I can add to this is that I used to work with a bloke who put a carbon-kevlar fairing on his Firestorm. He had to pay a fortune for it and import it from Italy, IIRC, and because he was a bit flash, he decided to leave it unpainted.

Thing was, the yellow of the kevlar in the weave meant that from any distance over about 6' away it looked just like Harris tweed. :eusa_pray:

All I can add to this is that I used to work with a bloke who put a carbon-kevlar fairing on his Firestorm. He had to pay a fortune for it and import it from Italy, IIRC, and because he was a bit flash, he decided to leave it unpainted.

Thing was, the yellow of the kevlar in the weave meant that from any distance over about 6' away it looked just like Harris tweed. :D

PMSL :)

Funny that. I have a flat cap that from about 6' away looks just like carbon/kevlar. Very trick country-wear.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived