Swingarm swap on Bandit

control_67

I'm waiting on the postie, he's bringing me a JMC underbraced swinger for me bandit. Its gonna replace the standard (unbraced) arm. I'm pretty clear on what to do, and I know how to wield a torque wrench properly. The only thing that I',m unsure about is the chain.

The chain thats on there now is probably 3000 miles old at the most. I don't have much budget left for the month after buying the swinger so I would like to reuse it, this means splitting and rejoining it. Is this safe to do, and can anyone give me a few pointers on it? I am borrowing a chain splitter from me mate but are there any other specific tools I'll need? I guess I'll have to replace the rivet, how do I make sure I get the right one, also how do I identify the chain thats on there?

Thanks for any replies folks

Swingarm1.jpg

Ah yes.

Call me wanker - didn't even think about the bracing.

Chain ain't a problem, though, just cut off the rivet link and put a new one on.Sideplates of the chain should have the manufacturer / series stamped on them, so just buy a new one and fit it.Only tools you need are a grinder to whip the old one off, a G clamp and a couple of small sockets to press the sideplate on (unless you're posh and have an actual chain tool) and a couple of hammers to peen the rivet heads over.

Its a '98, I've already fitted a Hagon though, £65 off ebay in November. Bargain.

still, the JMC was £166, over £400 quids worth new

Thats a whole lotta kit you got for a sniff over 200 quid there dude :rolleyes:

The 'Busa shock only goes into the newer (k series) bandits anyway.

Sure is, I've had some good luck on parts for this project. I think I may take the chain and swinger in to the local bike garage and just get them to split the chain and put it back together through the brace, I'll have to go there anyway to get the new link and whatnot.

Well, its all in place and looking good, the bike's back together and almost ready to go. Except for one small problem.

The eccentric adjusters on the JMC have a sort of pinch bolt that holds everything in place. The thread stripped on one of them, the right side . Looks like I'll have to get a helicoil in there I guess.

Anyone had anything similar happen with ally? Will a Helicoil be OK for this or will it just strip out too?

Bollocks. Looks nice tho

I guess thats an option, but If a Helicoil will work then I'd rather go for that as its a lot less work than stripping the bike again and whatnot, especially as the bolt only needs tightening to 34nm or so (I don't have the figures in front of me).

I know that its worth doing properly and that, just want to get the bike back on the road sooner rather than later.

A helicoil will probably be fine.....(it had better be, 'cos one of them is keeping my gearshift lever in place on the 'blade!)

Just shot JMC an email. Interestingly enough the website says that they use a helicoil for the clamp bolts. May just be a case of removing the old one and putting in a new one.

Of late JMC are getting a really bad reputation for delays in getting goods to people, buying second hand is the way to go I think.

And I'd have no problem using a helicoil or V-coil in the arm, do it yourself the V-coil M8 kit costs about 40 quid and you'll have it there if you need it in the future

I'm waiting on the postie, he's bringing me a JMC underbraced swinger for me bandit. Its gonna replace the standard (unbraced) arm. I'm pretty clear on what to do, and I know how to wield a torque wrench properly. The only thing that I',m unsure about is the chain.

The chain thats on there now is probably 3000 miles old at the most. I don't have much budget left for the month after buying the swinger so I would like to reuse it, this means splitting and rejoining it. Is this safe to do, and can anyone give me a few pointers on it? I am borrowing a chain splitter from me mate but are there any other specific tools I'll need? I guess I'll have to replace the rivet, how do I make sure I get the right one, also how do I identify the chain thats on there?

Thanks for any replies folks

I've been following this thread with more than a passing interest as I'm in the middle of breaking up my brother-in-law's '02 600 Bandit. I need to get the swing-arm out but could use some advice on how to do it and what tools are needed other than a 19mm socket. What do you use to hold the other end still while trying to get the nut to shift. Any/all help gratefully received. ;):huh::rock:

I've been following this thread with more than a passing interest as I'm in the middle of breaking up my brother-in-law's '02 600 Bandit. I need to get the swing-arm out but could use some advice on how to do it and what tools are needed other than a 19mm socket. What do you use to hold the other end still while trying to get the nut to shift. Any/all help gratefully received. :eusa_pray::huh::lol:

On mine the spindle has a 22mm nut and a 19mm head on the spindle. I put a ratchet on the spindle end, butting up against the footpeg and set to loosen while I used a breaker bar with a 22mm socket to undo the nut.

Taking it out is a peice of piss, about half an hour if nothing's seized.

On mine the spindle has a 22mm nut and a 19mm head on the spindle. I put a ratchet on the spindle end, butting up against the footpeg and set to loosen while I used a breaker bar with a 22mm socket to undo the nut.

Taking it out is a peice of piss, about half an hour if nothing's seized.

Ta much matey!! :thumbsup:

Archived