Running-in in relation to performance bolt-on's.

Bernster

I've had a look around the forums but couldn't see anything that answered the question directly, so apologies if this is a duplicate request.... :)

The 'running-in' carefully debate rages on and has been answered on more than one occasion by PB, but does it matter when you start bolting bit's on? ;)

Reason I ask is that I've been fortunate enough to simultaneously own multiple motorcycles and as such have been bolting new bit's onto one that has only covered 150 miles. I'm aware that the official manufacturers 'running-in' schedule would be dictated by such parts as the original exhaust system. So if I was to replace my exhaust with a full system and continue to ride within the 'running-in' guidelines would it do any harm? Or even bypassing the ‘running-in’, (to reduce the risk of things going wrong and still being within warranty)- and just hammering it from the word ‘go’.

Some people suggest that as most sports motorcycles are slightly diluted from their original design by making various parties happy, (such as the accountants, tree huggers and the marketing team) – I would probably be doing my bike a favour by performing the ‘running-in’ period with a free breathing, full system as opposed to the choked-up, catalysed version supplied originally.

Well, if it helps your decision, you can buy a bike new off the showroom floor and it'll have a different exhaust on it. Yamaha and Kawasaki have both done these sorts of deals in recent years and the running in procedure has been just the same, AFAIK.

Well, if it helps your decision, you can buy a bike new off the showroom floor and it'll have a different exhaust on it. Yamaha and Kawasaki have both done these sorts of deals in recent years and the running in procedure has been just the same, AFAIK.

Good point, I had never thought of that, although they're normally only end-cans that retain the Exup. I was just wondering if removal of the headers, Exup etc was a bad thing when running in, but I see your point in that they wouldn't risk doing that if there was any rise involved.

That won't make any difference to the moving parts of the engine. You are running it in to allow parts to bed in to each other etc. (take high spots off, make a better seal between bore and piston etc.). An exhaust isn't going to make any difference to what goes on in there.

you sure on that one Lorenzo?

I thought offers like that meant you had the pipes fitted at the first service, after running in ... :icon_puke_r:

you sure on that one Lorenzo?

I thought offers like that meant you had the pipes fitted at the first service, after running in ... :eusa_whistle:

Yep, I was really tempted to buy an MT-01 with a full akra system about 2 years back, until I rode it, thought there was something stuck in the airbox and then realised it was just the engine. A sportier exhaust was about as relevant as putting a skull and cross bones on top of a lilo.

It could, in theory, do just that*. It affects the fuel / air mixture and the bike may not get the right amount of each. However:

A/ The consequences of this over such a short period of time are unlikely to be all that bad, and;

B/ If it's set up properly with the mods it should be okay, as the fuelling will not be out, hence the engine will behave in a manner that is a known quantity.

*Not likely though, in sensible use.

thanks for the info, it makes sense. I guess I was just trying to find excuses for not having to remove it all and just being lazy. :icon_bounce:

In that case, I'll take off the system, (it's only covered approx 15 miles with the system on) - fit the original back on and then run it in a little longer. Once it's done the 640 miles I'll then look at re-fitting the system back on again.

:icon_puke_r:

here ya go m8 have a read of this lot may help you make ya mind up how to run ya bike in. http://www.mototuneusa.com/thanx.htm

i think this might start some of the people on here off on one but i have tryed this and it works fine. read it all m8. i found it very interesting. i ran both my r1 and r6 in this way. and did the inlets. :D

Your a *star* cheers very much.

Archived