Ducati - Oil catch tanks and breathers?

Gobert23

I'm trying to dig out some information (I think FastPhil might be the expert on this one?) on the parts and fitment of the 'race' specification oil breather system and catch tank arrangement for earlier desmoquattro bikes (i.e. my 916).

I've seen an arrangement where there's a larger capacity oil catch tank that is mounted under the seat, but I was wondering:

1. What the main advantages are?

2. What parts are required?

3. What's involved in attempting to make such a conversion onto a road bike?

:icon_blackeye:

Cheers

G

Thanks Mille(x2)

It's typical... :thumbsup: these things are never destined to be 'simple'. I'm glad I've asked fiest this time (rather than having a pile of bits to contend with).

I may have one advantage with the Strada, as it's a similar sub-frame to the SP/S models, but I'll need to take note of where everything is currently routed.

I've got the larger ECU tucked in the tail, so space will/would be at a premium.

:eusa_think:

Thanks Mille(x2)

It's typical... :rolleyes: these things are never destined to be 'simple'. I'm glad I've asked fiest this time (rather than having a pile of bits to contend with).

I may have one advantage with the Strada, as it's a similar sub-frame to the SP/S models, but I'll need to take note of where everything is currently routed.

I've got the larger ECU tucked in the tail, so space will/would be at a premium.

:eusa_think:

So long as you've got an alloy subframe it works ok but you'll need to drill it to mount the relays which goes against the grain for trick parts.

Very trick but more trouble than its worth for the pose value imo. As you've probably found by now, fitting Corse/RS parts to a road bike is a whole load of heartache and never as simple as it first appears.

Mark

So long as you've got an alloy subframe it works ok but you'll need to drill it to mount the relays which goes against the grain for trick parts.

Very trick but more trouble than its worth for the pose value imo. As you've probably found by now, fitting Corse/RS parts to a road bike is a whole load of heartache and never as simple as it first appears.

Mark

Oh and in terms of the benefits, it wont spew oil all over your back wheel anymore when your pulling monster wheelies...........but thats not a problem for me anyway :eusa_think:

Oh and in terms of the benefits, it wont spew oil all over your back wheel anymore when your pulling monster wheelies...........but thats not a problem for me anyway :D

Got this arrangement on my 996sps.

Dunno if it makes any real world difference though. I set the squish up on mine with the cams dailed, full 50mm Termi system FIM chip., lah blah. Bike goes well.

I have the ally subframe with the P8 ecu in the tail unit. I did away with the standard beather reed valve on the engine and made my own ally one. This then vents to the carbon breather box and then this vents to the air box. A reed valve then sits inside the air box.

Lot a fiddling but it does all fit. Only corse part is the reed valve that is situated in the air box. Cant get these now. Or the rubber tubing. But samco etc will do an oil proof set of pipes. Valve can be found at other auto motive stores.

In all honesty, its a bit of bling that only you will now its there. It probably works well when pushing out 170bhp from a wsb engine at the track but as Ive already stated, on the road. Dunno.

Also people want stupid money for the breather box. Cos its carbon fiber and it says Dooooooooooocati. :eusa_whistle:

Hope this helps,

Bats.

Cheers folks. It's pretty much as I thought, a part that's not even close to essential for a, even mildly tuned, road bike.

I think now's probably about the right time to stop considering more changes and actually get myself into gear, so that I'm ready and out at the first signs of some decent weather.

Thanks again,

G

PS. Yes, I know what you mean. People think that because it says 'Ducati', then a part should cost 'x' times more than anything else.

My SP2 has a similar setup, but the condenser/breather tank sits in the V of the engine, underneath the airbox and throttle bodies. The breather itself is at the top of the front pot. The good thing about the Honda setup is that it doesn't chuck oil out of the back of it f you do a wheelie!

I must admit I've thought about fitting a K&N crankcase filter and venting it to atmosphere rather than back into the airbox. It just doesn't seem right that we spend all the time and effort on ramair to get the bike breathing clean, cool air and then pump hot oily air straight from the engine???

Archived