Spannies for a 1979 CZ 250

uralboo

Hello,

I've just bought a 250cc CZ streetbike, and long term (i.e after I have ridden it for the remaining winter months) I plan to make it a little more special. I was wondering if anyone else had one, and where I can/could buy spannies for it? I have been looking on the web, but nothing is coming up.

Firstly if someone, somewhere knows where I can get better pipes, please tell me, cos I will buy them after I have saved!

If not, does anyone know where I can get a GOOD (!) 'build your own Expansion chambers' book.

Thank you for your help if you can!

Just got an e-mail back for a complete front end off a CBR125, disc brakes, indicators and a rev counter! Amazing! :eusa_dance:

If you are really interested in doing it yourself, there are a couple of software packages out there (even free)

Not hard to find, just google search for them. Of course, that is the easy bit, knowing what to punch in is a bit more mysterious, but think of what you might learn by doing it.

If you are really interested in doing it yourself, there are a couple of software packages out there (even free)

Not hard to find, just google search for them. Of course, that is the easy bit, knowing what to punch in is a bit more mysterious, but think of what you might learn by doing it.

Thank you, I'll have a look. If I only have to make 1 set I will be happy, as several sets would take flippin' ages!

• 1 month later...

gibsons exhausts is who you need to speak to

http://www.gibsonexhausts.co.uk/

GIBSON EXHAUSTS

Unit 5

Pentowan Farm

Church Road

Noak Hill

Romford

Essex

RM4 1LD

Contact Name : Tony Greenslade

Tel : 01708 372122

Fax : 01708 347543

email : gibsonexhausts@btconnect.com

as for design of, the best book is definitely this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Two-stroke-Perform...l/dp/1859606199

i did some mods to the rd400 race bike, and exactly what he said would happen, happened.

What Gibsons or CZs ?

Hello,

I've just bought a 250cc CZ streetbike, and long term (i.e after I have ridden it for the remaining winter months) I plan to make it a little more special. I was wondering if anyone else had one, and where I can/could buy spannies for it? I have been looking on the web, but nothing is coming up.

Firstly if someone, somewhere knows where I can get better pipes, please tell me, cos I will buy them after I have saved!

If not, does anyone know where I can get a GOOD (!) 'build your own Expansion chambers' book.

Thank you for your help if you can!

Just got an e-mail back for a complete front end off a CBR125, disc brakes, indicators and a rev counter! Amazing! :icon_salut:

Gibsons make quality pipes but they're not cheap and you might end up paying more for them than you did for the bike. There's a defined 'join' on the standard CZ pipes where the downpipe meets the silencer-for a cheap and effective solution, hascksaw off at that point and then weld some old spannies on. I've seen plenty of examples on CZ's and MZ's on Ebay. Defo worth a look is Ebay Germany where's there's big interest in the Jawa/CZ marque. Hope that helps

Edit: The Jawa California 350 which was produced up unitl 2000 came with spannies as stansard. Lots were flogged in the Staes so Ebay USA could be a good starting point

Also click here http://www.jawaczownersclub.co.uk/spare_parts.htm

Also just sprung to mind, I've definitely seen a 350 Jawa sporting a set of 350YPVS spannies!

Found a pic, not Yamaha spannies but looks good

http://www.jawaczownersclub.co.uk/images/PRE2CVJAWA4.JPG

Try a bloke called Milan Sochor (?) in Edmonton Canada. He used to race CZ's and now has a business making one-off exhausts for racing snowmobiles. He did some stuff for me. milanracing'at'hotmail.com I think.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for all of the help. I'm still saving, and Gibson did spring to mind. I did only pay £80 for the bike, so I'm not too keen on spending £1000's. I'm trying to get the work done by myself too, eventually I would like it to be a bit 'special'. My brother has always done projects with me, and my dad ( they are both professional engineers), but now I live miles form my dad, and My bro lives in Alberta canada.

I'm going to auto/bike jumbles, and I'm picking up spannies. Gonna start welding them on, and seeing what comes of it. I've been trying to locate spannies, as they still make CZ/Jawa's in Turkey and India, under a different banner. I'll get looking on e-bay, as the missus is getting the arse with me turning up with 'b**dy bulging tubes', and where I will put them.

As for CZ being avoided, my ol' man rode his Jawa to work for years, and he had a Jawa before that. I remember he had more issues with his Triumph 500. Admittedly it was running a commando crank and no roller bearings. Bloody quick at the time.

Loving the ol' 2 stroke smell though. One day i'll get an RGV, one day, or a blade!

I know all spannies work, but some work better for the engine than others. Will my trial and error method work in the end, if I stumble upon the right pipes?

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting DIY spannny kit here if you don't fancy rolling yer own cones,

http://www.ajs-shop.co.uk/acatalog/____str...g____.html#aEX1

and have a read of the Graham Bell book link that Basil put up.

I have had a read and I shall read further. I can weld (not very well, but I can do it). This pipe kit is exactly what I have been looking for, enough engineering to make it a challenge for a rookie like me, and enough already done, so I don't feck it up too much.

Thank you for the help! I'm trying to work out how to put pictures on here, so you guys can see where I am at. It's the first thing I have ever taken apart all on my own, and I'm doing the work by myself. So I feel proud of myself, even if it's only a cacky ol' CZ, its my cacky CZ and my work!

The pipe kit is cheap too!

To put pictures up here host them remotely on something like imageshak or photobucket or flikr. Make sure there is access to everyone (not private), then copy the url of the image (either given on the hosting page or right click-properties in internet explorer). then paste this url into the reply window here in [img ]http//www.flikr.com/bobspics/picofbike.jpg [/img ] without the spaces in the square brackets. Hope this helps.

Archived