Suspension guru's wanted

drunkn munky

I know the best thing to do is get the bike setup by a pro but im just looking to get the best possible setting until i do.

Ive just brought a 2nd hand maxton unit for a NC35 thats been set up for a rider of 14 stone inc riding gear, now im 12 stone max inc gear so im hoping to get away with using the same spring atleast for the time being and maybe knock off a bit of compression to allow for the lighter load, how many clicks do you think i should soften it up by? and maybe a touch more rebound???? what do you think.

Give Maxton a ring....they might be able to give you a steer.

+1, respring it before you fit it. Else the sag will never be right and the shock will be operating out of its sweet spot.

A new spring isn't a fortune and all you'll need to swap it is a pair of decent sturdy ratchet straps.

A new spring isn't a fortune and all you'll need to swap it is a pair of decent sturdy ratchet straps.

ratchet straps???? how'd you do that then?

Strap them to the spring to compress it take coller of do the same with new spring

hold the spring in a vice and dont get your head in the way. :P

Why dont you set up the sag back and front first it my be in the ball park

cos you will have to do that with the new spring!

ratchet straps???? how'd you do that then?

with great care mithinx

Pah, me and thefatman rebuilt the shock on the back of the bros with a big vice and some G-clamps, now that was a broken jaw waiting to happen. The ratchet straps are as safe as houses in comparison. When you consider that I've lifted my 200KG bike a foot off the ground with 2 decent straps then compressing a spring half an inch is a peice of cake for them.

Archived