Chains & Sprokets.

trackdaybob

As some of you may know I'm starting racing this year in the pre injection 1000 class on my 4xv R1 with Derby Phoenix. Now the bike preperation is coming along nicely and I may even get a paint job on my nice new race bodywork.

However at the moment the bike is running on a 530 chain and various Renthal sprokets and I'd like to know if it's worth me converting to a 520. The chain and sprokets I've got at the moment were bought last year and I've only used the bike for a few trackdays. At the moment I've got a 15 & 16 front and 42,43,44 & 45 rears.

So is it worth converting to 520 or is the money better spent elsewhere?

Your thoughts and opinions please.

Cheers.

tdb

It will really depend on the weight saving and the chain quality, a race chain will be "quicker" than a road chain ....

Ring a manufacturer and try to get some idea of the weight saving and the drag coeffient of both. Either way it's probably a suck it and see thing but your only really going to know the difference when you've timed the laps.

The rest then depends on your budget. You might think it's better to run the 530 until it's time to change then do the 520.

It's worth it,

less power loss in the chain, lighter , lighter thinner sprockets etc, don't forget, on the road you won't notice it, but in a 7 lapper round Oulton, thats 14 miles or so, if the other guy is 1 foot in front of you, he beat you.

Someone once said to me, 'In racing, exploit every advantage you can, cos if you don't, someone else and he'll beat you'

They've got a point.

bast of luck for this year.

Mark

Someone once said to me, 'In racing, exploit every advantage you can, cos if you don't, someone else and he'll beat you'

They've got a point.

Mark

Wise words.

That is a T shirt that is.........

Here come the scales again. I weighed a did x-ring 520 zvrm2 (the most expensive one) and a tsubaki 530 o-ring chain. Both are 108 links. The O-ring chain weighs 2170 grams, the x-ring 520 chain weighs about 1800 grams.

Out of memory: a tri metal stealth 47t sprocket for a 530 chain was about 900 grams; the 520 version was something like 720 grams.

From what i've read, all race teams use 520 chains.

Phase One go 525 as safety compromise & to minimise wear, another option. Power losses are worth considering. Wrapping a chain around a 15T front loses more than you'd think. Imagine a Kalashnikov firing 108 rounds in a second that then all have to be turned around and slung back in the opposite direction. I'd plan more chain lengths as 15/45 is the same as 16/48 but needs different length chains! We carry up to 49T for the rear.

Archived