polishing old screens

1050triple

I've got a 1986 BMW K100 project bike (I work offshore and get bored, it was there) the screen is quite yellowed and has surface scratches. Is there anything that will polish it up nicely? I was going to make a start with T-cut to see if it makes much difference.

Use C4 cutting paste it should take some of the scratches out, the yellowing might be in the plastic though

I think the yellowing is in the plastic, I gave the screen a good clean and had a go with some brasso (it was handy). The brasso has traken some of the surface scratches out but the screen has some crazing that looks internal.

Ah well, I think it'll be ok for the time being!

Depending on how deep the scratches are you might want to consider sanding them out sounds barmy I know but if you work your way up through the progressive grades of wet and dry then polish them with a mild abrasive polish to remove the fine scratches left by the wet and dry (use the wet n dry wet with a drop of washing up liquid in the water and it should work fine). I've used this method to polish clear plastic before and it does work it just takes a lot of time and care. If you don't want to risk wrecking the screen find something else thats covered in scratches and practise on that.

Archived