Tight Spot In Chain

boris

hello i have a tight spot on my chain.its where the soft link is. havent noticed it till now. can i put some penetrating fluid on it for a couple of days to see if it frees up or is that a bad idea?

cant get a chain and get it fitted by this weekend as im off to snetterton the weekend.

would a tight spot cause it to snap or something bad?

Had a slight tight spot in the chain last week, Sat down Sat morning, WD40 on a toothbrush, cleaned the chain 4 links at a time then wiping down with rag and finally regreased the whole thing when done. Chain perfect again, might be worth trying while you wait for the replacement link? :eusa_whistle:

I always thought that a tight spot in the chain mean't it was worn :unsure:

It does... A tight spot/section would mean uneven chain stretch.

A tight/sticky link (this thread) can sometimes be resolved ok.

ok cool i gota look at the chain tonight to see what it is first, im presuming 520 conversion as it was a race bike so ill try some penetrating oil tonight and order tomorrow.worst case is ill use it as it is and pray at 170 it holds ha ha.

sure it will be fine but i thought id ask as im sure somebody told me once not to use wd40 on a chain whatsoever but i cant see why not

cheers guys

It does... A tight spot/section would mean uneven chain stretch.

A tight/sticky link (this thread) can sometimes be resolved ok.

yeah, i would reckon if it is the soft link then it has either been riveted too tight or hasnt been greased properly, best safe than sorry tho for the 4 quid for a new soft link.

ok cool i gota look at the chain tonight to see what it is first, im presuming 520 conversion as it was a race bike so ill try some penetrating oil tonight and order tomorrow.worst case is ill use it as it is and pray at 170 it holds ha ha.

sure it will be fine but i thought id ask as im sure somebody told me once not to use wd40 on a chain whatsoever but i cant see why not

cheers guys

It drys out the O or X ring rubber, something to do with the powder residue wd40 leaves behind Im told.

i agree with the rivit link probably installed too tight.

redo it before resorting to wd-40.

which i do NOT recommend on chains.

I wouldn't use penetraing oil, as it will get by the O-rings and either wash out or dilute the grease in the rollers. WD-40? An equal number of people swear that it is the root of all evil on chains, as claim that it is the next best thing to sex.

If it is the link then it almost certainly has been put on too tight. Contact B+C Express...they'll probably have a link to suit the chain (make sure you use the correct link for the chain). Take the old one off, install the new one and pay attention to the width of the link.

make an oil bath and leave the chain in it (i do this for the chain of the xl600v) once a week the chain is cleaned and left in the bath of oil over night, i,m hoping not to have to replace it for years :)

Archived