Another Clunker

Big_Kingy

1999 ZX6R. Prepared the bike for its MoT the other day. Cleaned the brake calipers and tightened and lubed the drive chain. After I took it for a wee spin and have noticed a clunking noise when accelerating.

Well it passed its MoT but now the oil light comes on when the key's in the 'on' position without the engine running. So I level the bike to check the oil sight glass and the oil has gone all creamy like Caramac. I only done an oil and filter change 2 weeks ago!

I have a feeling this is gonna be expensive :(

Don't the oillight always come on when the bike is not running?It might be you need to change the cylindergasket judging from your description as water may have entered the oil...

Oil light should go out once running callum. If not you either have low oil or the oil pressure switch is knackered.No need to go to a garage

EDIT:- If your oil is like cream you have water/coolant mixed with the oil. which is head gasket. BUT if i were you i would empty all of the old oil/creamy out and put some cheap oil in it. See if it does it them or come back.. keep an eye on your coolant level to see if this is dropping.. If it is its head gasket.. Bike will also sometimes run bad but not always.

if you are going to get a quote from a garage,get one and let me know as i will probably be able to do it 50% less. :icon_salut:

Thought th oil light came on as well until running as its a pressure switch. As for the caramac could it be condensation if the coolant level hasnt dropped. Try the oil change thing and then take it for a run to get it properly hot(not just temp gauge hot as thats just water) and burn off any condesation left(I know this is usually a winter thing with short runs but could be worth a try). query head gasket, try some k-seal if short on funds for a fix

Check the coolant level, as it could just be that bike's got a bit of moisture in the oil if it's not run for a while. Take it out for a good 20-30 minute spin, then come back and see what it looks like then. Chances are the moisture will have evaporated and you'll be back to normal looking oil again.

Don't the oillight always come on when the bike is not running?

I know mine does.. not sure about the creamy oil tho as that can happen to oil in damp conditions, did you do the oil change yourself, was the filter also changed, have you checked the coolant levels to see if you are indeed losing water?.

Oil and filter were changed by myself, coolant was at lower mark so topped up. Maybe I'm playing tricks on myself with the lights, does the temperature light come on when the ignition is on but bike not running?

Callum. check you have not OVERtightened the drive train. your bike should be 35-45mm of free play at the longest point (norm the bottom run)

Worn out sprockets can do this as can worn cush drive rubbers. there is lots more but start with basics.

Your sprockets are 15 front & 40 rear.

I'll try loosening the chain a little tomorrow (haven't got my tools at current location). It running about 25mm slack when it was MoT'd, was searching t'interweb for amount but found feck all info on this bike.

Archived