Tyres

Martin C

Hi

I've just bought a Brand new RR-8 Blade and it came fitted with Dunlop Qualifiers.

I'm finding them two slippy in the wet, fantastic in the dry but thats no use living in the Highlands of Scotland.

Dont know much about tyres and dont ride on the track just need something that gives good grip wet and dry, a real shame taking off tyres that have only

done 150miles...

Anyone got any tips, ideas...

Martin ;)

Avon Storms. Got them on my K5 thousand and they ROCK. Made in the UK too.

Oh, and welcome to the world of PB.

Avon Storms. Got them on my K5 thousand and they ROCK. Made in the UK too.

Oh, and welcome to the world of PB.

+1 on the Storms, had them on my last bike, loads of grip and feedback wet or dry weather

I'm not sure anything grips in the middle of January.

If it's roads only, I'd go for something like Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's or even something a bit older like Pirelli Diablo Stradas or Metz Roadtec Z6.

OE Japanese Dunlops are infamous for being rubbish compared the British made ones.

Another vote for Pirelli Diablo's here. I am a Pirelli man tho, I've never paid for a set of tyres that wernt Pirelli on any bike of mine (bar a set of Michlin Knobblies) so I trust the brand.

Diablo Strada's are also a great tyres, I dont know how they'd fare out on track day on your blade, you'd probably overwhelm them, but you'd probably want to be fairly pushing to do it. They'll last a bit btter than an outright sports tyre.

Hi

I swear by Michelin Pilots.They last very well to.

Also gear the rear sprocket 1 tooth taller (1 tooth less) to reduce torque slightly for the winter,works a treat!

Lucas

I do lots of miles in the winter and have tried the Diablo III, Michelin Pilot Power 2CT and Avon Storms.

I have to say I don't think you'll go far wrong with any of them with the 2CTs probably the best for both outright grip in the wet and tyre life.

Having said that the Dunlop Roadsmart is a generation on from the rest. Its a dedicated road tyre with unbelievable wet grip and life.

I think TWO magazine did a test recently and James Witham reckoned they were clearly the best.

Avon viper supersports, good enough for a dry track day and spot on on a cold wet damp salty slimy road, they make them in 190/55/17 as well perfect for your blade.

What makes these stand out, is I use them on my road bike and Heds uses them on his track bike

Made in England, and cheap too

cheers Mark

Have the same problem on my Rc8.

Supercorsa pro's...great on a hot sunny day,slippy as fook in the cold/wet.

Having analyzed this to death it came to a toss up between 2 ct's or 016's.

Have a mate in Ireland(Yamtastic) who has 016's fitted to his superduke and R1 and says their brill.

So off the fence and i'm gonna go for the 016's

Have Pirelli Diablo Stradas on my Steelie '96 CBR 600ft - good winter tyre for the road - as I ride like an old woman also good on the road for the other 3 seasons :o

If it's roads only, I'd go for something like Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's

+1

I've done about 6,000 miles and a track day on Road 2s (2006 'blade) and there's still plenty of tread left on the rear and I didn't have any issues with it on the track. Mind you, I'm shit on track. :eusa_think:

+1

I've done about 6,000 miles and a track day on Road 2s (2006 'blade) and there's still plenty of tread left on the rear and I didn't have any issues with it on the track. Mind you, I'm shit on track. :eusa_dance:

Hard to argue with that, the BT-15's are good, and the BT-16 noticably better but I never had one make it to 3000 miles, even with no track days and a moderate road pace.

I've just stuck Roadsmarts on my 950SM and the grip is great, certainly better than the Pirelli Scorpion Syncs that were on it before. They were £190 fitted to loose wheels.

Maxxis Supermaxx seem to be getting good press at the mo. Sticky and warm up quickly (allegedly)

£150 a pair delivered

Where abouts does this? i wouldn't mind trying a set of these.

Archived