Tokico 6 pots

Tomfoolery

The ones on my 7R are wank. New discs? Great for two days. New 'lines? Great for two days.

I've got a VFR master cylinder to go on, but would prefer to keep everything standard, mostly. I've read that changing the master cylinder seals fixes it - anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

They need completely stripping and servicing by the sounds of it. I'll bet there is a whole load of salty shite got behind the seals and are making them pull the pistons too far into the calipers when they are released.

Fair enough. When the time comes, I'll get new seals for the calipers and give them a good clean and see what happens.

Aye, that's my last resort. SRAD calipers bolt straight on, apparently. However, if the problem is in the master cylinder, it won't make a difference.

Is the 7 high mileage? i'd be inclined to go for the master cylinder(you can only get the piston,spring and seals together i think--£25)and while youre at it give the calipers a cleanup too!Those brakes rule when serviced well! :icon_bounce:

ive rebuilt mine, but braided lines on, fitted new pads and a radial master cylinder. still crap.

going to try my mates srad calipers now, and save for either rr nissin 6 pots or harrison billets.

They need completely stripping and servicing by the sounds of it. I'll bet there is a whole load of salty shite got behind the seals and are making them pull the pistons too far into the calipers when they are released.

Wot he said

They corrode behind the seals and the build up causes the seals to grip the pistons preventing them from moving freely. You need to remove all the corrosion, not just replace the seals.

Even so they will never be as good as new, when I had my 1st zx7r I was anal about cleaning my brakes (after terrible ones on my zxr400) and when properly maintained they are excellent.

the six pot's on my '01 zx6r are as good as anything i've used,the same calipers on my '96 zx7r are nowhere near as good.

must be down to age of the seals and maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

I always found the ones on the Busa were fine too. I did always try to keep them clean and in the seven years I owned it, the pistons remained free.

The only thing I didn't like was the pads wearing the bottom of the caliper and you could hear them click when applying the brake (whilst pushing it around).

Yup i've seen that wear to the inside of the calipers happen lots--mostly on high mileage zzrs(160,000+)gets to the point that the pad can actually 'lock' into place which really isn't much fun!Lots and lots of kawasaki's especially the new ones(zx10's,zzr1400's and zx6)all seem to get corrosion on the edges of the pads and thus sticking.wirebrush and copaslip them up on the edges to keep em nice and freeee

I ran Tokico 6 pots without dust seals. I kept the calipers clean and dry mind (never washed the bike), just wiped all parts down after a run, to many places that water can hide in I guess. Never had an issue without them, still going strong!

srad34

Tis all about keeping them clean.....my C2 9r was the same, took a strip apart to get them back properly and then semi regular cleaning. The 7's brakes have gone the same way, will be due the same treatment.....but do have a set of SRAD/RGV 4 pots on standby :eusa_whistle:

Tis all about keeping them clean.....my C2 9r was the same, took a strip apart to get them back properly and then semi regular cleaning. The 7's brakes have gone the same way, will be due the same treatment.....but do have a set of SRAD/RGV 4 pots on standby :icon_salut:

i think ive found a way to lose the tokicos for something much more modern and not too dear either, just waiting for parts to arrive to make sure itll work, will post pics as soon as i know it all works.

i think ive found a way to lose the tokicos for something much more modern and not too dear either, just waiting for parts to arrive to make sure itll work, will post pics as soon as i know it all works.

Really... :icon_salut:

I'd be interested to hear what solution you've got in mind..

Really... :eusa_whistle:

I'd be interested to hear what solution you've got in mind..

should be within a week or two all being well. Nothing revolutionary, but should make a lot of difference. No more crap 6 pots, thats for sure.

Yes :P ......intriguing :tacheemoticonwh7:

well its a bit hit and miss right now but should be able to use any modern radials quite easily, as soon as the parts arrive ill see how everything mounts up, but put it this way, r1 radials are going for about 90 quid on ebay and so are most others, and what im working on should allow most radials with 108mm spacing to bolt right up. soon see......

Archived