Satin black spray painting

drunkn munky

Ok im giving my trackbike panels a quick paint before trackday time on saturday so and just wondering how to get the best finish using a satin black, obviously its not a gloss finish so do i need to cut it back after the final top coat? or even between coats?

Prep prep prep.

What paint are you using? I favour Tetrosyl trade satin black. 500ml rattle cans from the local motor factors for £4.

If you've got good panels to start with then give them a good key with some 800 wet and dry, degrease and spray away. Make sure you have a warm dry environment to do it in. Otherwise it will bloom.

I painted this beauty with 4 of the aforementioned cans outside.

23989680001_large.jpg

ive spent the last few days repairing and preping the panels, they've been left overnight primed. Gunna give them a light rub to flatten the primer then start the satin black, like i said tho as its not a gloss colour do i still cut back and flatten after each coat and then again after the final coat?

You did that with 4 cans!!! ive brought 5 500ml cans to do my panels!!!

I wouldn't flat back the final coat. Flatting back between each coat is fine if the finish isn't looking great.

Yup 4 cans, the Tetrosyl stuff is very good and has a good nozzle. My fingers killed after mind!!

Cheers i'll see how it goes, conditions are not ideal as im doing it in my shed so panels are transfered to the house for drying, dont tell the misses :eusa_whistle:

Where did you get that Tetrosyl stuff?

Stick a cheap fan heater in there to get it warm. It's the damp that will cause you more troubles than anything else.

I got the paint from my local motor factors, Mon and Border in my case, far better stuff than the halfords satin.

do you seal it with any thing or use lacquir to finish ?

I hadnt planned to but im doing this in a bit of a rush as i have trackday on saturday so if the finish isnt up to scratch i can just flatten down, give another top coat and maybe laquer.

I hadnt planned to but im doing this in a bit of a rush as i have trackday on saturday so if the finish isnt up to scratch i can just flatten down, give another top coat and maybe laquer.

Beware! If you dont laquer it do not get petrol anywhere near it. I speak from pissed off experience.

Beware! If you dont laquer it do not get petrol anywhere near it. I speak from pissed off experience.

what laquer would you use with satin paint if you want to retain the satin finish?

So how did the panels trun out.

Did you use a laquer or not?

Did you flat back the top coat?

They turned out pretty well, no i didnt laquer them mainly due to not having time before the trackday, didnt flat it back either. Im gunna try flatting back or t cutting a small area and see how it turns out.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow

Im only putting on a white number board on the tail section and a 8hr endurance style one on the front. Im not keen on covering bikes with stickers.

Will also have a clear screen when i get round to getting one

Ive heard others say the same - using Krylon (not sure if you have it in the UK..?) I have never had a problem with chemicals. This is on race and street duty machines.

Halfords do a petrol resistant laquer but I think it's gloss. You really need to use laquer on the tank though cos spilt fuel will just wash the paint off.

Decals over satin finish paint isn't really a good idea, you could've sprayed the panels gloss black, decalled, then sealed with satin laquer if you really want that finish.

Sorry to piss on your picnic!

Decals over satin finish paint isn't really a good idea, you could've sprayed the panels gloss black, decalled, then sealed with satin laquer if you really want that finish.

Sorry to piss on your picnic!

Doh!!! oh well if you dont make mistakes then you never learn

Doh!!! oh well if you dont make mistakes then you never learn

Yer right there!

Like I said, don't wanna spoil your party, but someone else has made the same, er, slight misjudgements in the past :thumbsup: .

Just passing on a few tips / ideas.

What was the end result Drunky munky?

I am looking at spraying a mille swingarm to match a late model falco.

I liked the look of the panels on the bike but i get the impression that it went a bit pear shaped after that.

Would you recommend using the satin black paint without any lacquer or a satin lacquer? or any other combination of paints/lacquers?

new pics of your end results would be nice as well.

What was the end result Drunky munky?

I am looking at spraying a mille swingarm to match a late model falco.

I liked the look of the panels on the bike but i get the impression that it went a bit pear shaped after that.

Would you recommend using the satin black paint without any lacquer or a satin lacquer? or any other combination of paints/lacquers?

new pics of your end results would be nice as well.

Pics to come soon when this snow clears up, the only bit that went pear shaped was the mudguard, i T cut it and it came up nice and shinny....not what i wanted. Ive since learnt the best way to do it is to paint normal black then satin laquer over the top but mine looks ok for now.

I think with a swinarm id be inclined to have it powder coated as it will give it a tougher finish. last thing you want is flakey paint on the swinger

i've used rattle cans with reasonable results.i found if you scotch brite it all over when finished it tends to smooth out the manky bits and leaves a nice finish

Archived