Project Bikes 2 Stoke Electrical Deviation

Fenfast

Are there any electrical wisened ones out there who can give a bit of guidance for my ambitious projects electrical mods?

My project - the 'RGV1000' aka 'Fen Fury' has 2 cranks,the main generator - yet to be chosen will run on the rear crank and the front crank I plan on fitting the original CR500 generator, but modify it with an additional pulse generator to create a spark for the second cylinder. but it is unlikely as standard that it will run a second CDI unit. I see company's such as electrex world can supply uprated windings, but I'm unsure of how to make the idea work.

So thats my plan, Is this kind of thing doable? I'm sure it would be easier to plug in a programable ignition, but my project ain't about easy! Any pointers gratefully received :eusa_think: - Thanks Fenfast aka Chris

From my (exceptionally limited) perspective I would run a generator on one crank and an ignition trigger/crank sensor on the other crank, having two generators would complicate matters. I'd also try and run a single CDI because having a separate one for each cylinder would just end up with something else to break/package somewhere.

For the ignition trigger I'd try and use something like the picture below but double up on the sensors or depending on your CDI setup possibly even attempt to use one sensor to trigger both ignition.

51.gif

Why would you want to run 2 generators, just to try to balance out the loads on each crank?

Cheers Cagimaha for this, One generator my be the way to go, I think I need to investigate further.. Also to answer Lorenso, the idea of 2 generators was to have the front one as a 'stand alone' setup, the rear could be treated as a single and I wouldn't have to worry about phasing of the fireing intervals (this is likely to change as I experiment on reducing vibes). If I run a different cdi unit, I'd have to get involved with what advance curves I'd need, so standard is appealing!

The standard CR500 generator is a dinky little thing and even if fitted with extra 'lighting' coil would only kick out 25 watts so is not upto providing the power I need for pumps, fans, lights, etc.

Millemille, above explains the fireing intervals and as for the revs - to be honest, I don't know what the engine will rev at, I haven't found any reliable quoted figures, but looking at the port timing, the expansion chamber length etc, my best guestimate is max power about 5,800 rpm with a red line of 7,500. I did see some quote of 10,000 rpm, but those pistons are huge, so I think that would not be related to a normal CR 500 engine - or mine... FF

I'm struggling to see how you'll be able to run two separate 2 stroke cylinders from one CDi unless you run it as a "twingle" firing order. You can't have a wasted spark with a 2 stroke (AFAIK?) and the CR500 CDi is only producing a coil output for one cylinder as standard. If the CDi is man enough it might be able to charge 2 coils in parallel and allow them to fire simultaneously but nothing else.

I'd run 2 standard CR500 CDI's, one for each cylinder, and put the 2 pickups on one crank and use the other crank to run the generator.

In an effort to simplify a confusing subject - I confused myself! You are of course right, It will need to be 2 seperate standard CDI's, or an alternative CDI designed to fire the ignition at the same phasing as mine, or a fully programable race item designed for a twin - I think... FF

Most two stroke parallel twins with a 180 degree crank actually run a wasted spark setup . The yamaha TZ race bikes ran separate coils for each cylinder but all the RD's and Suzuki GT's and RG's etc all ran with a single coil and a wasted spark. Still makes life difficult with a single CDI unless you're going for a 360 or 180 degree crank phasing which I imagine would shake around like a jackhammer.

If you go with Mikes suggestion of two CDI's it'd give you a lot more scope for running different crank configurations.

Archived