Radiator leaking???

FRYTBYTES

Hi, i have a 2002 honda hornet 600s, it stays outside under a carport at my house and is under a fitted sheet thing.

Pretty new to biking, but recently i have been noticing a puddle under where the radiator is at my bike. The radiator seems to be damp in places on the side it leans to when on the stand and the hose on that side sometimes has a little liquid around its conection to the radiator.

I checked the coolant and its still full to the brim.

Has it something to do with the cold temperatures at the moment? Me not riding very much at the moment or

Has the radiator maybe got a leak? If so how would i check? If so why is the coolant not running low? If not why is there a small puddle under the bike? Is my bike taking a slash?

Please help confused L-biker.....

:eusa_whistle:

Might be worth going around and tightening the rad hose clips, the rubber of the hoses shrinks a little over time, effectively leaving the hose clips slightly loose. Usually you will see staining at the joints.

If the bike's got proper coolant in it, rather than just water, it'll probably be bright green or something obvious. If you get it on your fingertips it'll feel sort of greasy too. Take a look at the stuff you're finding on the floor and see what it's like.

If it is proper coolant in ususally when the bikes hot it has quite a distinct smell.I liken it to piss myself but it could be me thats faulty.Coolant shouldn't be escaping from the system unless the coolant expansion tank has been overfilled past the upper mark or theres a leak in the system somewhere.Could be condensation or water collected from recent trips and gathered in the cooling fins?It's not unusual to have slight weeps around the odd coolant pipe and they're often checked if the bike is serviced properley.Like lorenzo says often the coolant is quite a distinct colour like green,blue or pink-check someone hasn't filled the system with water instead of coolant

That sounds good, its definately water, i'll check the coolant but i'm 99% sure its proper stuff.

Thanks

Archived