Swapping Out Gsxr1000 Igniton Barrel For Switch Help Needed

rich7/12

Hi,

I'm trying to swap out the ignition barrel for a plain switch on my GSXR1000 k4 trackbike, but experiencing some problems...

It keeps chucking out a FI error code which is that the ECU's not getting a power feed (comes from the switch on the wiring diagram).

The wiring diagram looks like a single throw, double pole switch would sort it but it's not working...

Any idea why a) this is happening or B) why the wiring diagram in the haynes would differ to the bike (theft reasons?)

Any help appreciated!!

Thanks,

Rich

Hi,

I did wonder if it was something like that... could be an ant-itheft thing I guess?

Arse. I'm crap with multimeters etc otherwise I could test it I suppose.

R

Shouldn't be anything to do with anti theft in the Haynes. I did a similar thing to my 99 R1, and the Haynes wiring diagram was spot on.

Shouldn't be anything to do with anti theft in the Haynes. I did a similar thing to my 99 R1, and the Haynes wiring diagram was spot on.

I'm wondering if the diagram might be right, but there's something like a resistor as Loz says...

If the ECU doesn't see the load it expects it throws a wobbler...

<sigh> why is it never easy?

Suzuki's have 100 ohm resistor built into the ignition barrel which a feed to the ECU runs through. This is an anti hot wire device. The ECU has 2 feeds (normally -ve), one direct from the battery and one through the ignition and the 100 ohm resistor. The ECU compares how long each of these feeds take to charge a pair of identical capacitors when the ECU first powers up and if the time difference, due to resistor, isn't correct then ECU won't spark.

AHHHAAAAA!!!! Thanks Mike, perfect timing ;)

My / L's hunch is about right...

Shame I was in Maplin's only this morning buying the switch!

I'll chuck a resistor i there and see how it goes...thanks very much again.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - resistor and swith fitted nicely and all good :)

Lasted a trackday at Donny yesterday and still going strong - thanks all for the help.

Rich

Archived