Poor Running Symptoms, Burning Oil + Other Things

Jaybewan

Ok, apologies for asking about my car engine on here but I need to think out loud a bit and check what the consensus is.

The old rat wagon (89 Passat 1.8 8v) has just topped 205k miles and is starting to sound a bit ropey on startup.

I noticed a while back that it's got a lumpy idle on cold starts and chucks out a bit of blue smoke. The idle is so rough that it'll cut out unless a constant throttle is applied.

I originally thought this was a bit of oil getting past some rather worn valve seals being burnt off but recently I've noticed that the oil filler cap is smelling badly of petrol. The dipstick also smells of petrol after the engine has been run up to temperature.

It doesn't seem to burn any oil as soon as it's warm either. So I'm thinking it could be spent piston rings.

Sound right? Or am I missing another possibility?

Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated. I'm just trying to work out what my plan of action should be (New motor/new engine/commute on the bike).

Cheers.

I'm not much of a car spanner monkey but my first port of call would be a compression and leak down test, and get the emissions checked.

At that mileage I'd be thinking worn rings, leaky valve stem seals, maybe valve re-grind and re-cut the seats? A comp and leak down test should pinpoint what's what.

1.9 TDi, T4 multivan injectors, VR6 Clutch, big interwarmer off a merc sprinter hanging out of your front bumper, a remap and say hello to 170 bhp and god alone knows what torque and you can run it on veg oil and still get 55 to the gallon whilst caning it.

I'll admit that I was severely tempted by the TDI route but I think it'd only make sense if it was a diesel to begin with as the amount of money I'd save through Mpg gain would be offset by the tonne of cash spent on the conversion.

Remember guys, I'm doing this on a budget of crisps and broken promises.

Though I admit the G60 is tempting, I think it might be too tempramental for daily duties, hence me thinking of bolting the 2.0 8v (2E) bottom end into the current (PB) motor that's knackered for a bit more torque on the cheap.

Archived