Austrian Hillclimb, Rachau 1998

driverchris

Excellent...

Edit: I miss the times when Eurosport showed proper obscure sports...

It made me scour t'internet yesterday looking for more of that madness I used to watch back then.....

I *did* find that there was a similar (but easier) European Championship even in France in 2010, but I can't find out if there's anything like that still happening on that scale anywhere.

Does anyone know? 'cos if there's still some sort of event like that, I reckon it'd be a perfect PB meet-up event... Drunken debauchery, stupidity and motor racing in which you're almost expected to fall off seems perfect for this place!

There used to be masses of Hillclimb stuff in the states. The glorious Terrafirma videos from the ninenties introduced me to it. On that note, Fox Racing has uploaded most of its Terrafirma stuff to Vimeo and you can find some really good hillclimb stuff there.

You can also find some good hillclimb footage in that 'film' Fogarty did with Keith Heuwen where they went to the States and rode about on Ducatis (not that I'd admit to purchasing said video or owt)...

awwwwwwwwwww, that was awesome all the time. we've been part of it 1996-2000. was a really great time, every year more ludicrous and more amazing. party was over in 2000 when race was moved to another hill in a village in near of rachau.

the original hill was also more difficult than the new one. a pity, we never had competitive bikes :-/. but it was quite a lot of fun. most spectacural thing were never shown on tv, they happened beside the main event when the whole paddock was turned in BIIIIG party.

I should take a look into our private video archive. there should be lots of crazy stuff from rachau.

Archived