Coating Bare Ali, What To Do?

drunkn munky

Ive just had my swingarm bead blasted and it looks fantastic, id really love to just keep it as it is but i know its gunna oxidise so what can i do coating wise to keep it looking as close to what it does now?

DSC04757.jpg

Find a vapour blaster that has the proper gear that uses hot water, medium, and an anti-corrosion agent. The anti-corrosion agent gets embedded in the ali and it keeps its finish for at least a couple of years. Easy to keep clean too.

I'd go and talk to them. Ask them about corrosion inhibitors. You'll quickly get a sense if they know what they're on about. You might also want to look for an industrial supplier. Should be plenty in around Sheffield.

how would anti chip matt finish lacquer hold up, so long as theres no water or initial corrosion it should be ok, powder coaters should be able to do something similar too, i've seen a few items finished in a matt or silk finish may have been a shit powdercoaters though.

LOL sheffield, ive considered lacquer but not sure how well it would hold up. Its for my trackbike so isnt going to see the elements too much.

I'd bet that laquer wouldn't be tough enough to stand a few dinks from the chain, although i think you can get clear powdercoat, which'd be a bit more robust.

You can get clear powdercoat but I think aluminium has to be chromated first which negates the effect of having it cleared... :eusa_think:

What about just getting it coated satin silver, or as good a match as you can to bare ally?

I wouldn't use powedercoat. It will get damaged and will impossible to touch up. Just my opinion, though.

Vapour blast w/anti-corrosion agent. It will stand up, can't be chipped, and is cheap.

Archived