Cam Timing On A 92 Blade

Alex_H

Yo dudes,

Helped a mate do his head gasket on his blade recently, and was under the impression that the notch in the RHS cover was the timing mark for the T on the ignition wheel. We set the cams with the T lined up with this notch (notch is at about 2 o clock if you're looking at it) and the exhaust cam with ex lined up along the top surface of the head and inlet with in lined up with the surface of the head. This resulted in epic cannon fire, so we guessed that we had it 180, so set the cams again with the timing mark one extra rotation round. More epic cannon fire from exhaust!

So my basic question is this, where is the lower timing mark, and how are the cams meant to be set as I've obviously got something not quite right lol.

Cheers, Alex

You have the setting correct mate, the "T" should align with the notch.Number 1 piston should be a TDC.

But first......

On your cams you will see marks. one says IN the other says EX. get these lined up with the face of the engine cover so it looks line this (IN --------------------EX) the dash being the line along the engine case.The number 1 cylinder lobes of the cam should be facing away from each other (so pointing out wards) like this INLET \ Exhaust /

Align the T mark on the compression stroke as you did.

Bolt everything back on/together

CCT should be removed (cam chain tensioner) and then put back in to reset it. Then recheck the timing.

Job jobbed.

EDIT:- Just to add mate.. I would assume you have the cams set wrong to your timing mark on the pick up.Before you turn over ANY engine it is advisable to turn the engine over BY HAND.You might have bent a valve now.. :facepalm: or you might be lucky..

Set it all up and turn it over 1 revolution by hand and recheck.. If it hits anything it will lock up.You would then have to investigate.. BUT you dont risk damaging your engine.

Hope that helps ya mate. B)

Cheers for your reply dude!

I've been back to the shed, had the valve cover off and the plug out of #1. I popped a small extension bar into the plug hole to make sure the T was TDC which it was and the cams line up across the face of the head IN ----- EX exactly as you say. Lobes pointing away from each other :thumbsup:

I spun it round by hand to make sure it all came back to the same position which it did. I even think I had it right the first time, just heavy beer after clouds the brain lol.

Anyway, it still wont fire up, just backfires like a bitch and now the battery is dead, so I'm gonna swap the plugs out when I get 5 and charge the battery and see what happens. Poxy honda lol.

I know this sounds silly, but I've had this problem on a car before: I'd done the head, and got the most humongous fireballs being shot across the floor, and spent ages making sure the cams etc were timed up OK. Turns out the distributor had got 2 marks on it, the one i'd made before it came off, and a decoy that some other bloke had made in the past! I know your bike's not got a distributor, or at least i hope not, but if the spark timing's off, I'd imagine the end product will be pretty similar.

It's cool though, isn't it, with the big fireballs!

Well I think the spark timing should be alrite, like I say the T that lines up with the notch in the casing does so at TDC and the T is on the ignition rotor thing so in theory it can't be wrong, I think lol.

But yeah the fire is awesome, I quite enjoy the deep bellow in the exhaust just after the fire too, sounds mental. Might have to make a recording of it before swapping the plugs, just incase it works :eusa_think: good ring tone that'd be lol.

Silly question.. but do you have the plug leads the right way round? As lorenzo says,, it sounds like it not firing when it is supposed to.

EDIT:- Are you 100% sure you had the timing set correct the first time? Just asking because if you didnt you would have bent a valve or more..This wont let it start as you will have no compression. If you have a compression tester get it out and test all cylinders.

If the cam timing is correct then it could be the spark plug leads in the wrong order? although modern bikes do normally have 1234 on the leads.

Alternatively you did have it 180 out first time (unlikely because you turned it over another 360 according to your post and put it back how it was anyway) and have now bent loads of valves which is why its not running right.

I would defiantly do a compression test to check!

If the compression test comes back bad and you are sure the timing is right then the head will have to come back off to check the valves!

Archived