Shopping For Impact Drivers

blow_away

Can anyone give me some advice on these? I've bought some one in the past, but returned it when I found that it would not undo a rear wheel nut.

I've been looking at Ryobi, because the batteries are interchangeable with my other stuff, but I'm not sure if I can swap a Li-on with my existing Ni-cads, and if I will need a new charger for the Li-on stuff.

http://www.power-tools-pro.co.uk/ryobi-biw180m-18v-impact-wrench-body-only-12-hx-drive-p-6340.html

Or recommend something else? Budget is £150.

Can't help... I've got a 12V one from Machine Mart, and it's done everything I'v thrown at it on the bike

Front sprocket nut was the biggest test, and it rattled it off easily.It was worth a punt for me at about £26

Dewalt DW053 12v I've had mine for 5 years and it has shifted everything I have tried front sprocket nuts and rear axles no problem. Mine came with a spare battery and fast charger.

I got a cheap one off EvilBay recently, and it works like a dream, has already earned its keep, £30 delivered, works off a car battery.

Yea, if your ryobi charger is the old nicad type and youre buying new li-on batts you'll need to upgrade but the drill should work on your old batterys. New charger is @ £34

If you buy the impact driver , a couple of batterys and a charger youre over your £150 though

" Super Charger for both Lithium-Ion and NiCad batteries

• Chargers 14v & 18v Lithium-Ion batteries in 1 hour

• Charges 18v NiCad batteries in 45 minutes "

I got a cheap one off EvilBay recently, and it works like a dream, has already earned its keep, £30 delivered, works off a car battery.

We've got one of these, it's brill for top yoke and front sprocket nuts :) I think it was £25 or so from Machine Mart.

I've been running Ni-Cad 18v Ryobi drill/driver set for 5 yrs, last 2 years on wheel duty in the World Endurance Paddock. Probably due to die soon, but they beat most fasteners including clutch and front sprocket. The transfer drives from 8mm to 3/8" and 1/2" I sourced from Teng, I always keep a spare handy 'cause these can snap as they get lifed in use, bit brittle.

Will probably replace this year with Makita twin set as they're a lot lighter, yet just as pokey.

• 1 month later...

In the end I spent rather more money than I had planned on the R1, so I bought the Machine Mart one recommended by AlexP5 above. And it is very good indeed, made very short work of the gearbox sprocket nut.

Cheers Al :thumbsup:

Archived