oil filter socket

Dan

Hein Gericke, Halfords, most bike dealers who sell tools.
Measure the filter, make sure you get the right size, I believe there are 3 different sizes.

dan,

what model gsxr do you have ,cause i am doing my filter and oil next week and it would be a good heads up if someone comes up with the corect size

cheers

mark

Don't do what I did, which was pay about a tenner for one in a bike shop, only to find out several months later that if you order an oil filter from David Silver you can pay a pound extra to get one with a filter wrench. Doh! I guess if they offer that on Honda parts someone somewhere will do similar for a gixxer. They probably have the right filter sizes to fit a gixxer.

whats the best place to get a socket to undo the oil filter on my gsxr???

Get yourself one of these - Facon style strap oil filter wrench. I've had the original solid alloy Facom one for years, you can get half plastic copies now.

I can do an oil change on my K6 thou' without having to remove any bodywork at all using this, it's also fitted every other vehicle I've owned too :icon_salut:

So a philips screwdriver and a lump hammer is the wrong tool?

the best tool i've found for the job :eusa_whistle:

I bought one of those chain style ratchet thingys from halfords especially for the job. Fucking shite!

In the end it ground through the filter and i just whacked a screwdriver through it instead

the best tool i've found for the job :eusa_whistle:

I bought one of those chain style ratchet thingys from halfords especially for the job. Fucking shite!

In the end it ground through the filter and i just whacked a screwdriver through it instead

GP in bodge shocker! Hold the front page!

Is it really the bodge tool the filters junk and it does not damage the thread strap wrenches are good but i never have any hassle with the screwdriver technique.

I hate strap wrenches. Sockets are the way forward.

I used to use a stubby screwdriver and a hammer, though. Works fine as long as you don't mind getting oil on your downpipes.

The thing is, those end type ones often slip about, the chain ones are about as effective as clmping it between 2 blocks of butter and the type with 3 prong bits just crush the filter into a sort of fat mercedes logo. Screwdrive and hammer. Simplicity and effectiveness in on pointy little package. You can get some screwdrivers with the steel shaft going right through the handle too, for one swift whack with no fear of cracking the plastic.

Strap type ones are ok. Chain type ones are the work of the devil.

Oh, and one of those things for getting jar lids off does the job just as well, and is in fact what I use now. Kinda like this one:

Jar-Opener-for-Kitchen-Bathroom-and-Workshop-22575118533.jpg

Archived