Wavey brake discs..

johnboy636

I'm going to replace the front discs on me '02 ZX636 and was just wondering, is it worth buying the wavey brake discs?

Do they offer any real advantage over the standard ones??

Anybody that used them , think they're cool/shite/useless, let me know.

Cheers,

Johnboy

On the basis that I'll get shot down in flames!

Wavey discs were introduced for off roader's - the cut outs would clear the mud.

They have reduced surface area and provide no benefit on the road other than a bling factor.

My personal preferance has been PFM cast iron discs, SBC pads and two fingers but be interested on other guy's points of view.

JR

On the basis that I'll get shot down in flames!

Wavey discs were introduced for off roader's - the cut outs would clear the mud.

They have reduced surface area and provide no benefit on the road other than a bling factor.

My personal preferance has been PFM cast iron discs, SBC pads and two fingers but be interested on other guy's points of view.

JR

With the PFMs I'd go for Bendix road/track pads or full race pads but thats just personal opinion.

No question though, would go for a set of cast discs rather than wavys

Wavy discs on a road bike are more of a (crime of) fashion statement and gives no advantage whatsoever. Cast iron discs are the way forward but they will rust, and quite badly if you use the bike in salty conditions.

But, the braking power and (more noticably) feel is significantly greater than stainless discs!

Hmm wavy discs

Bling and normally less weight reducing gyroscopic effect etc-

Cast Iron shit hot but rust like Fook

Carbon really good but go cold and then Shit

Normal disc good cheap heavy

Vented disc lighteweight etc etc etc

With doing something differant its all horses for courses and what do you want/need. I went fot sintered brake pads on std discs and compared to oem pads i thought they where Sh*t i found oem had more feel and worled well at all times, i found sintered to work really when when warm but no way near the same feel or cold grip as oem. So really the choice will be down to you but i strongly dont recomend carbo disc for road use at present unless you really doing kane the nuts off your bike :eusa_think:

I used a Braking Wavy disc on the back of my old YZF750 cos it was about £20 cheaper and a lot lighter than the standard disc, which was goosed. They look ok i.m.o but they eat pads like fuck, even double H's, and coat your wheels / fairing lowers in loads of brake dust.

Also had PFM narrow-track cast discs on the front with Bendix pads.

THEY ROCK!

I've got PFM cast iron discs with Bendix carbon matrix pads pads on my GSXR600K4 and a Galfer speed kit on my Y2K Blade . Both systems give far superior performance to the the standard set up but of the two i'd have to say the PFM discs have the edge ! The only problem i've had is a low speed shudder due to the extreme profile of the Galfer discs .

For me theres only two options over standard

Brembo or EBC prolites,

Put price and customer support at the end of a phone line into it and suddenly theres only one option.

EBC !

cheers

Mark

Hmmm - maybe you asked the wrong question.

Why are you looking to change the disks ???

If they're shot then obviously it's just replacement in which case iron rich will give the best stopping power, stainless will give the best compromise, and wavey's (could) be lighter.

If your looking just for better brakes then have a look at the master cylinder. A cheaper way maybe to change the pads and fluid.

Wave discs are pointless. They work well new while the edges are sharp but that soon dulls and they lose any advantage they had.

Now here is correction to the cast iron myth. NONE of the top teams now use Iron discs Brembo stopped using iron about 12 years ago and now they all use a rolled cast steel which is not brittle in the same way as cast iron. But it has a similar grain structure to the material so it has better abrasive properties than the stainless steel OEM or stainless steel wave discs. PFM are now the only company using cast iron. Cast iron also has other problems as pad compounds are a lot more critical and most of the current racing compounds do not work as well with cast iron due to the almost blanket use of the rolled steel material by the racing suppliers.

Wave discs are pointless. They work well new while the edges are sharp but that soon dulls and they lose any advantage they had.

Now here is correction to the cast iron myth. NONE of the top teams now use Iron discs Brembo stopped using iron about 12 years ago and now they all use a rolled cast steel which is not brittle in the same way as cast iron. But it has a similar grain structure to the material so it has better abrasive properties than the stainless steel OEM or stainless steel wave discs. PFM are now the only company using cast iron. Cast iron also has other problems as pad compounds are a lot more critical and most of the current racing compounds do not work as well with cast iron due to the almost blanket use of the rolled steel material by the racing suppliers.

Very, very interesting. Had wondered about the lack of rusty brakes in the paddock. Also agree about pad choice being critical with cast.

I might try the master cylinder route.

I'm about to start pulling the calipers off for their annual strip down and rebuild.

I have braided hoses and HH sintered pads, but last year just had a few 'oh fuuuuuuuccckkk!!.....that were close' moments, and would like a bit more bite.

I was thinking of new discs and pads, maybe help a bit. I think the discs might be starting to warp a bit.

I'm also just thinking, with a 950sm with radial Brembos may have me spoilt last year. The difference between the two is like day and night.

Maybe you have been spoit. Have a look at the pads and run some rough glass paper over them to make sure they're not glazed and clean the discs too.

The master cylinder should help ... but I thought the 636 had radial calipers ???

Archived