Zx6R Juddering To A Stall When Warm.

Big_Kingy

I've been using my ZX6R G2 for commuting to work (30 miles) this week and all was well until tonight. As soon as I put the key in the ignition after finishing work, the oil warning light came on, so I checked the level but all was good. Traveling on the dual carriageway after about 20 miles the bike started to judder and miss fire as if running out of fuel. So I pull over and turn the tap to reserve but the bike won't start, open the tank and I can see fuel (about a third of a tank). Scratch head and check battery terminals as I replaced the battery the other day, all good. More scratching of the head and after 10 minutes try the start button and she fires up after a few coughs. By this point the bikes temperature has dropped to 2 bars (out of 6 or 7?), so on I jump and make it a few miles before the temperature reaches 3 bars and the bike judders to a stall again. Repeat for the next 2 hours and I make it home.

So basically the bike miss fires to a stall as soon as it's at the optimum temperature.

Any ideas before I take it to the garage?

Missed the last bit... :facepalm:

Your coil could be breaking down under heat,hence it starts when it gets cooler and then does it again when hot..

Ummm when was last valve check as this is also a factor..

Sanity check you didnt do something silly with the battery when u fitted a new one. Kinks in hoses etc.

Missed the last bit... :facepalm:

Your coil could be breaking down under heat,hence it starts when it gets cooler and then does it again when hot..

Ummm when was last valve check as this is also a factor..

I'll check the paperwork, she hasn't even done 14,000 miles yet. I bought her at about 12,800. Iirc valve clearance should be done at 12,000? Sound right?

I'll check the paperwork, she hasn't even done 14,000 miles yet. I bought her at about 12,800. Iirc valve clearance should be done at 12,000? Sound right?

Umm yeah somewhere around that figure Iirc.

I gather yours is the 98-00 (ZX 600 G1) model if so here are the specs for your bike

Inlet 0.11-0.19

Exhaust 0.22-0.31

measure from cold.

resistance on your coil should be 2.6-3.2

Spark plug gap 0.7-0.8 and they should be CR9E's or champion G59C ones.

I have lots of other specs should you need them.

Valve check every 7500 miles, mine had 12 out of spec at 15,000 miles.

I have a set of coils if you want to try them? buy them if they fix the problem or send em back if its not that.

I've checked the battery today and all appears ok (can't see any kinks or splits in anything). All other suggestions are beyond my mechanical experience (I bolt on /unbolt, empty/refill). Gonna take it to the garage this week, as it's on 13,800 I'll get 'em to do the 15,000 mile service whilst they have it.

Cheers for the replies.

Archived