Amalgamating Two Alooy Parts Into One ?

Mohawk

Hi All,

Looking for ideas on this. I've got a couple of alloy parts one Ducati the other Honda.

The plan is to amalgamate them into one part, by using the inner part of the Honda & the outer part of the Ducati !

To do this I need to get the Ducati sprocket carrier machined out & the Honda splined drive unit turned down to match.

The question ? Is it better to make this a tight friction fit & weld the perimeter on both sides, or make it a press fit that would require a hydraulic press to mate them & then pin it ?

For info the inner splined piece is a bi-metal unit with a thin steel splined inner and I believe the alloy was moulded over it. The outer is a standard Ducati 748/916 style sprocket carrier.

I plan to mount a QD sprocket carrier on this to make sprocket changes simpler in future !

Thanks for any advice from someone with some experience of this kind of thing. This is just an idea at the moment, I'm waiting for some Ducati parts to arrive to measure everything up.

Chris W.

in my opinion (and its just an opinion) the pressing operation would be best but i would also be looking at being able to bolt the parts together as a more permanent solution so if the friction between the 2 components were to become less there would be a secondary 'failsafe' that could continue to perform the action of holding your shit together.

Thanks kaighn80 still waiting for the parts to arrive to measure this up.

• 4 months later...

Why not fuck off, and then fuck off some more?

Archived